ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Sandro Offline OP
Most companies rough the alarm wiring to the unfinished basement leaving short tails.

When one goes in to complete the alarm and do the home runs to the alarm panel, what is the preferred method of splicing the alarm tails to the home run lines?

Has anybody seen or heard of any problems with stripping each lead and twisting the wires together and using a Marr type connector?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
I don't know what a Marr type connector is. I have seen alarm installers use "beanies" or "Good and Plenty". These are the old telecom crimp connectors that the telecom industry has replaced with Scotch Locks.

I have also see them twist, solder and tape.

-Hal

S
Sandro Offline OP
Marr type connector = marrettes (or wirenut, twister, term-a-nut, wing-twist...etc.)

Scotch-loks rock...but alot of guys prefer the cheaper method of my original post.

Any other thoughts from the alarm guys?

H
Wire nuts? Never. Also I didn't mean to imply that Scotch Locks were the same as the "beanies" or "Good and Plenty" type connectors. These originally were used in telecom but have caused problems and have been replaced by Scotch Locks.

Alarm guys still use the "beanies" or "Good and Plenty" connectors because if you strip the wires you can use them with solid, stranded or combinations of both. This is something you can't do with Scotch Locks which is why you won't see alarm guys use them.

Just as popular as I said is soldering and insulating with tape because if reliability.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 03-23-2005).]

D
We try to NEVER terminate wires except at the devices, this can only be done on new installs.when adding 1 or 2 devices we sometimes have to use wirenuts but we tape the joint with Scotch 33+.
I have found most fire alarm specs call for terminal strips only for any temination

H
dstanford has a good point. I haven't seen an alarm company for a long time rough a building leaving tails in the basement. Pretty lazy if you ask me. Why not just complete the runs to the panel location? All those splice which will eventually be buried are potential trouble spots and is why wire nuts would never be used, especially with small gauge wire.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 03-28-2005).]

S
Sorry - Just an industrial sucurity installers point of view...

[This message has been edited by sponge (edited 04-29-2005).]

[This message has been edited by sponge (edited 04-29-2005).]

S
Sandro Offline OP
We appreciate your comments Sponge, but different thoughts are appreciated. As an installer, we come across different situations. The purpose of the forum is to exchange information in the interest of doing a proper or better installation. In our field, many licensed electricians, including us, regularly install alarm systems, along with fire alarms, central vacs, cable tv, telephone, and data cables. True, it may not all be rocket science, but tips are always appreciated. Cheers!

Link Copied to Clipboard