ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 287 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#159848 02/19/05 07:44 AM
S
I have to do my 1st finish termination of cat-5 for a telephone system in a house.I'm not sure how is the best method for terminating at the wall outlet in an office which will have 2 phone numbers and a fax. I roughed in 2 seperate runs of cat-5. I'm going to use cat-5 modules with a 4-hole face plate.

Should I terminate 1 of the cat-5 to a RJ45 8 conductor module for the 2 phone lines and which module due I use for the fax?

What if the owner wants to use 1 of the cat-5 for a computor network...how would I terminate the remaining cat-5 to serve 2 phone lines and a fax?

Also what is the best way to terminate in the basement for connection to the telephone co wiring? I don't want to spend a fortune on some media panel.

shortcircuit

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#159849 02/19/05 08:12 AM
A
I would terminate one cat5 to one of the modules for the phone and fax lines.
I would terminate the other cat5 to the other module for the computer network.
I terminate one cable to one module so if I only have two cables I only install two modules.
In the basement I would use a sheet of plywood and mount either a 66 punchdown block or a 110 punchdown block to the ply wood.
66 block is good for the phones and fax.
110 block is what I would use for computer networks.

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 02-19-2005).]

#159850 02/19/05 08:21 AM
A
I would like to add to the previous post that I would discuss this with the homeowner.
I have put in plywood because it cost less and is more versitile than media panels.
I've had to go back and install media panels when the homeowner saw one at a freinds house or at the homecenter. They didn't care that it was more money. They liked the look of everything enlcosed with a cover. They would have liked to have known about them to begin with.
Now I explain both options with them and let them make the final decision.
After all it's their money.

#159851 02/19/05 11:55 AM
M
I would use one of the cat 5's for the network and you said that the customer has a phone system, depending on haw many pairs the system uses to connect to the phone you could be short a pair or 2. If it is just normal POTS lines you could terminate one pair onto one module to give you capability to have 4 phone lines and 1 ethernet line. For a home or small office like that I like to run 4 cat 5's, 2 for voice and 2 for data, which gives you more flexibility.

#159852 02/19/05 12:38 PM
G
You should be terminating your phones on RJ11 keystones. Data goes on the RJ45. I would set one phone jack up for RJ14 (two lines) with line 1 on the center and the other up for line 2 on the center taps.

Greg Fretwell
#159853 02/19/05 05:49 PM
H
I agree- why are you using an RJ-45 jack for voice?

Terminate one of the cables with an RJ-45 jack (we always use orange to indicate a data jack) in the 568B configuration for the network. VERY important to do this with the minimum untwisting of the cable pairs so start punching down your W/B pair as close as possible to where you removed the jacket. Put the end of the jacket right against the back of the jack.

Take the other cable and terminate the first two pairs (W/B & W/O) on a 6 pin jack. This will actually be in this case an RJ-14 since the W/B pair will be line #1 and the W/O pair will be line #2. No need to worry about pair twists with voice so strip the jacket to expose like 3 inches and separate the cable into the four twisted pairs.

Take the third pair (W/G) and terminate it on another 6 pin jack for the fax line. This will be an RJ-11.

Coil the last and unused W/Brown neatly for future use.

Put a blank in the fourth wall plate hole and mark (sharpie is fine) the RJ-14 and RJ-11 jacks- "Line 1&2" and "Fax" respectively.

In the basement you install a nice sized plywood backboard on a wall. We usually paint them light gray.

For all the data runs you use a patch panel. This is just a panel with a number of RJ-45 jacks on it. They are available in different sizes- get one with at least as many ports as you have data jacks. You will need a 110 punch down tool (if you didn't need one for the jacks) and again terminate the runs in the 568B configuration to match the jacks. Again it is very important to terminate with a minimum of disturbance to the cable configuration.

All the voice runs get terminated on a split 66 punchdown block. Start at the top left and punch down each cable in order. You can get 12 home runs on one block.

Be sure and label all jack plates and put the corresponding number on the 66 block opposite the first pair #1 clip of each home run. The patch panel comes numbered. This means that you should number the jacks then terminate. Identify the cables as you do by either toning them or tagging them as you pull them. I prefer toning.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 02-19-2005).]

#159854 02/19/05 10:21 PM
S
thanx for the replies guys...

question...what is the difference between the 568A and 568B configuration.Is the 568B better for computor networking for some particular reason?

I have punched down telephone wiring a little in the past, but always used a manual punch down. Is the 110 punch down tool used for all telephone wire terminating...including the modules?

What are the basic type of tools I need to do this work...such as the punchdown tool,tone generator,etc? Is there a all in one tool kit available?

shortcircuit

#159855 02/19/05 10:48 PM
A
I use a punch down tool that has interchangable blades. It has a 66 blade and a 110 blade. I also use a tone generator and wire mapper to check for shorts, opens and miswires.
You can get kits with the tools.
I buy a lot of this kind of stuff from Milestek. www.milestek.com

You may want to visit this website. http://www.jimhayes.com/uncleted/index.html It has an online course on terminating cat5 cable.

#159856 02/20/05 01:01 AM
C
The only difference between the 568A and 568B is which pins the orange and green pairs are connected too. You can use either the A or B as long as both ends are connected the same. Many jacks have wiring diagrams for both but patch panels often only show either A or B. I always connect the jacks using B. If you connect the jacks B and the patch panel you get only has marking for A just connect the orange pair tot the green terminals and the green to the orange thermals. I would highly recommend you get a basic tester for network wiring to verify yo have connected everything correctly. It is very easy to accidentally reverse a wire connection.

I also recommend you follow Hal’s advice and use (2) 6 wire jacks for the voice lines. I usually connect the brown pair to the second jack so each jack has 2 pairs.

I stopped using 66 blocks several years ago and only use 110 blocks for the voice lines. I find the 110 blocks much easier to wire especially if you are using CAT-5.

Curt Swartz
#159857 02/20/05 02:50 PM
E
e57 Offline
Your cat-5 for you network just has to match the patch panel, either 568A or 568B pattern. You might want to try to steer clear of 568A boards, as they are slowly disappearing. As both Cat-5e and Cat-6 standards are in the 568B pattern. Many have a card you can reverse to change the color labels, but some dont. There is nothing more irritating than mixing them in the same building.

I have done this on residential (non-system) phones for some time now, I terminate pairs 1 + 2 to each phone jack and leave the ends on. I leave them on about 6" and roll them up. Use these as line 1 + 2, even if they only have one voice line, as they may in the future get a line 2. This way any 2-line phone can be used, without having to go through every jack to change your terminations. If line 2 is used, and needed in a seperate jack just use the length left over on the first jack.

Any fax, or modem lines then go on pairs 3 or 4. This helps out when you get called back to add or change anything. For instance, "We want to add a second voice line (+/or) we got 2-line phones" You walk in, punch down your CO side of the new line to the orange pair on your board and walk out. If you need line 2 in only one jack, just add it to the length you left on the jack only in that plate, without having to un-do the original jack.

"Add a fax/modem" same thing, add the jack at the plate on green or brown, punch down the otherside, and walk away.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard