ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Just as a side comment on cellphone calls, I've seen comments from ex-pat Brits complaining about the way they get charged for incoming calls to cellphones in the U.S. and how it should be done the "correct" way as in Britain.

Personally, I think North America adopted the right approach. If you want the convenience of being able to receive calls on a mobile phone, why should you not pay for it? Why expect the person calling you to pay more for your convenience?

Quite a lot of people here simply will not call a cellphone number. Comments such as "Give me a proper number, I'm not calling that" are far from rare.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

D
djk Offline
Paul:

With modern digital switching, the actual numbers dialled have no relevance to the call charging or routing. So the common european number plan issue is no longer technically relevant.

I can see the logic of creating pan-european services though. 00 800 2222 3333 is far easier to market across the entire EU than 25 seperate national toll free numbers.

and 112 and 00 make a lot of sense.

In terms of competition they could remove national telecom market boarders without disrupting the existing numbering arrangements.

e.g. allowing one GSM network to exist in multiple EU states as a single network without roaming.

G
Gloria Offline OP
Thank you all for your assistance, give me your account numbers. [Linked Image]

I have some interesting thougts about this process: the silly situation of mobile or local city=county prefixes are not in connection with the (uhh, hard words...) infrastructure or development of the nations. For ex. Jamaica has about 200 mobile prefixes (Which doesn't mean all starts with 9)
Or you can call the main cities for a very low, usually about 0,025EUR/min price, when you pay about 0,5EUR/min thru the normal telephone lines.

Otherwise I'd welcome the idea of choosing the same prefixes for the same purpose, for ex. mobile can start with 9, DC 1.

Russia and Kazakhstan has the same 7, whenever the price of a call is more than double price for K. So I had to check the net for all the city prefixes in K. to make difference in the counting.

Wow, it's been a long week, but this topic made it easier.

Thank you again!

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
C
In Canada:
I know a person whose cell phone number was that of the same local exchange that wired phones get.

However both our cell phones are on a new exchange,supposedly cell specific, in another town.

In the US, they have number portability, which means you can take your number across cell, VOIP, and POTS providers. (I may be a little liberal, but the gist is there is no cell specific prefixes anymore.

D
djk Offline
I think the eventual scenario is that the US providers will stop charging for incomming calls and the european providers will stop charging for calls terminated on their networks.

So eventually, in maybe 10 years max, calls to mobile phones will be the same as calls to fixed line phones.

It will just take a little more time for competition to really take hold in a big way and drag prices dramatically downwards.

I can see plenty of ways this could be done, e.g. the VOIP operators operating as virtual networks on existing mobile infrastructure .. [Linked Image]

G
Gloria Offline OP
In this case the prices for Canada and the USA are the same even the mobile prices.

G
Gloria Offline OP
Hi all! Check our website, please. www.korum.hu

Thank you.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard