ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Gloria Offline OP
Dear All!

I have found numbers for the United States how to say, islands and so on, but not the states. Can someone send me a link of mobile prefixes in the USA?

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Gloria Offline OP
I'm so lucky, I have this forum. [Linked Image]

Can someone please help me with the canadian cellphone prefixes too?

Thank you!

P
I have found numbers for the United States how to say, islands and so on, but not the states.
Not quite sure what you mean Gloria. [Linked Image]

Are you referring to the various Caribbean island nations?

Re the Canadian cellphone numbers, Canada is part of the NANP as well, and like the U.S. cellphones are included within regular area codes. You can only tell them apart by looking at the central office code (the first 3 digits of the local 7-digit number).

A full list of cellphone prefixes would be very long and subject to frequent change as cellphone providers are assigned new prefixes. Identifying a cellphone just from the number is much harder in North America than in Europe, but then there's no real need to tell them apart from a caller's point of view.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-13-2005).]

D
djk Offline
Gloria: You simply CANNOT tell wheather a North American phone number is terminating on a mobile phone or a normal fixed line.

Paul: Have you ever seen the proposals to create a "single european numbering zone".

The logic behind it is quite sensible as it would do a lot more than standardise the entire EU phone numbering system but would also open the entire EU phone network as a single market with the potential for any operator to offer services right across the entire EU.

As of 1992 they began to create a common european numbering space which included standardising international access to 00, introducing the pan european 112 emergency code, and the international toll free service 00 800 also partly came out of that.

The full proposal is to make the EU (and perhaps other non EU european countries) +3

The existing country codes would become area codes.

E.g. the UK would become +3 44
France would be +3 33
Germany +3 49
Ireland +3 353

This wouldn't effect normal dialling procedures initially.. but would free up a lot of new area codes.

These could then be assigned to regions as necessary to come up with a decent pan-european system.

However, while it might actually be a really good idea in theory it's unlikely to happen as it would be very disruptive to business.

The likely scenario is the expansion of european numbering space services.. e.g. pan european toll free, premium, shared cost, personal numbering and maybe mobile services in the future.

G
Gloria Offline OP
I understand now, however it is hard to find a reliable website for all these informations.

The US problem is solved, I see there are no difference between the mobile and grounded line prices, only Alaska, Hawaii and the Virgin Islands are different.

For Canada I also was too busy, the prices are the same there too. So the only question which I have for today, the numbers of Alaska, Hawaii and the Virgin Islands, but I guess its on the web.

Thank you!

G
Gloria Offline OP
Dear Trumpy!

Can you help me out with Chatham Island?

And others: I don't seem to find Hawaii and Alaska.

Please help!

G
Gloria Offline OP
Dear Guys!

Another problem.

I have a different price for the UK, called "Shared Costs" Does anybody know, what is that?

Thank you.

D
djk Offline
Shared cost numbers are special rate numbers where the cost is shared between the caller and the owner of that number.

E.g. local rate numbers.

the caller pays the local rate and the company they are calling pays the rest (the cost is shared)

In the UK.. these would typically be 0845 number

In Ireland 1-850 and 1-890

They're normally used for customer service, helplines, sales, radio phone ins, telephone banking etc etc. and have nothing to do with mobiles.

(There's also a regulation here for "bursty numbers" i.e. any number that's likely to result in more than 100 call attempts per second. These must be non-geographic and start with 71. The local exchanges can then manage the traffic without loosing capacity. e.g. if a radio phone in goes crazy and people start phoning 1850 71 5555...)

One of our local radio stations caused chaos during a world cup final ticket give away to the 10th caller. The problem was that the DJ called out their local number instead of the competition line! The local switch, got so busy that other traffic couldn't get through at all.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 01-14-2005).]

G
Gloria Offline OP
[Linked Image]

P
I don't seem to find Hawaii and Alaska.
The Alaska NPA is 907, Hawaii is 808. How much it costs to call these states will depend entirely upon your carrier. If they don't specifically list a special rate, then chances are they charge the same as for calling the Lower 48 states.

In the UK.. these would typically be 0845 number

Go here for the other shared-cost codes.

(There's also a regulation here for "bursty numbers" i.e. any number that's likely to result in more than 100 call attempts per second.
Hmm... Like the original purpose of 900 numbers in North America.

Paul: Have you ever seen the proposals to create a "single european numbering zone".
I sure have. Last I heard the plan was abandoned, at least for now, as being far too disruptive and unrealistic at the present time. Frankly, it seems to me that the whole idea had more to do with politics than with any real technical need.

The paper is on the EU website:
http://europa.eu.int/ISPO/infosoc/legreg/docs/com97203.html

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard