ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Hello all,

Just wanted to post a "Welcome" greeting message to all, and to throw out a few topics for discussion (and briefly describe other areas of discussion here, too).

First off, what systems and/or equipment do you use regularly, or are most familiar with?

Next, anyone getting more VoIP (Voice over IP) installs lately?

3rd, Certification: Yes/No, what level (CAT5, 5e, 6...)?

Lastly, anyone seen an IBM 4702 Controller in active use lately?

The topics of discussion here may also include Control systems for Automation equipment (LON systems or LON Works protocols), things like basic Thermostats, Lighting Controls, etc., and - of course, any level of Voice / Data / Video equipment + Installs & LAN / WAN items needed - from basic and simple questions, upto the most complex discussions.

Have fun!

As things progress, we will add drawings and text for references and visual aids.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
e57 Offline
For the most part, we only sell horizontal cabling, frames and racks, and leave the hardware to the clients IT dept for commercial TI's. Although certain phone systems on occasion. Something we can't compete in, so it's often an easy sell to add all the cabling into our existing electrical contract. Funny thing is that more and more systems sales are being done by people who don't pull cable, so it's an easy match.

As for VoIP, same as above, Carrier spec's Horizontal, and shows up with a glorified T-1/2 modem, a Switch and box of patch cords. On the few times so far this is also sold with the network gear, CPU's and MAPI phones. It throws are red flag for me at the start of the job... 'one 5e to each desk...Hmmm RFI!'

Certification on 5, and 5e. Wont go for the 6, and pre-7 meters yet, as of yet there has only been a handfull of places we have even pulled 6. And very rarely do we get asked for certification. And when we do, its often 3rd party. For some strange reason the places that do require it, most have been resturaunt POS systems. Go figure?

IBM 4702 Controller? Not yet, that I know of....

Residential... what-ever you want, like I said, we in the biz of selling wire.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
G
for VoIP we are building a system, it goes fine.
I don't know which part you are interested in, I have a phone changed for the purpose and attached to the soundcard.

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Thanks for the replies!

BTW, I am fairly sure all the 4702 Controllers have met the "Retirement Scrap Pile" by now!
[Linked Image]

Just something to discuss here and there.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard