ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 284 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
Tiger Offline OP
I've been using a model that I just read an interesting article about. I allocate all of my overhead and profit to labor alone, rather than labor and material markup. As LK has posted on numerous occasions, if the materials are customer supplied, you lose material markup. If material markup is needed to acheive your profit goals, you won't meet those goals.

Dave

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Cat Servant
My own arrangement is rather similar, Tiger.

I think it is important to keep separate "numbers for the customer" from "numbers for yourself."

While there are real costs in maintaining an inventory, (as there are in maintaining equipment, tools, whatever), I don't think it is helpful to present them to the customer as such.

T
Tiger Offline OP
With homeowners it's much easier to present a price than it is to explain your business. I think explaining all the details of why material markup is needed would be just the incentive for my client to do business with someone else.

When I'm dealing with businesspeople it's different. I don't have to explain it to them, they know it from their own business.

When I do business with other people I don't ask them to sharpen their pencil or drop their price. I ask them to do a good job for me and price it so they can do it again when I need it.

Dave

Link Copied to Clipboard