ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#159066 10/19/06 04:58 PM
C
ckeck Offline OP
Hello everyone, thanks in advance for any information/input.

This does not specifically relate to the electrican industry alone, but a friend and I are looking into starting a home repair business and I was wanting to get any insight and information as possible. I have owned a business in the past, but not in this trade.

We would mainly be doing some carpentry work, tile, paint, etc...and I would be doing certain electrical work (I am a licensed electrician).

Beyond general business, is there anything specific I should know about working in the trades that would be beneficial?

I understand that this is not a specific question, so all insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
A
Get some of the proposal/acceptance and additional work authorization forms from NEBS. They give you instant professional image and there are no details they can't say they asked you to do.

P
You might check into a franchise like Mr Handyman.
http://mrhandyman.com/FranchiseMain.aspx

It will cost you more $$ upfront but will get you off to a quick start.

[This message has been edited by PE&Master (edited 10-21-2006).]

C
ckeck Offline OP
Thanks for the tip about the forms at NEBS, I had forgotten about those...seen them a while back.

I would actually prefer not to be part of a franchise as it is very easy to find business here and I know my city very well. But it never hurts to look into it...thanks for the info.

Another question, I do have my electrical license, but I don't think a license is needed for general repair/contractor work in the state of Texas. There is no "contractors license" that I can find listed on the state website, but a lot of forms ask for this. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

A

C
ckeck Offline OP
Ah, thanks...never found that site before. Most of my work should not cost more then $20,000 (any single job) however, so I don't know if I would need this. Of course, if/when I get close to this threshold I will.

T

Donnie

Link Copied to Clipboard