ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#159045 10/08/06 12:06 AM
T
trevman Offline OP
The estimating game is quite hard to figure out,as i really have no experience doing this. I know how long it takes to install the jobs i am performing but thats not necessarily a realistic approach on the hours to bid them at. I have found myself shaving my price in the past and on the last quote i did not do this and was awarded the job the next day.My overhead is low,my office is out of my home I bought all required insurance and workers comp,I operate from my cell phone , I have a fax line , fuel expenses,i own my van and most required tools. I have come up with a hourly rate of 65.10/hr which I use when I bid and the last couple of jobs I have finished using up only about 60% of the hours I allowed for. I think I may be low on my prices but I am not sure.I am kind of leaning towards a new apprentice that maybe I could groom into a good guy that could maybe watch out for any jws i may hire in the future plus i could really use a guy to carry materials help pull etc and office help is a great thought as well but first i must get a office. If i was to hire a jw right now i could bid on more work that i know is there but im just to chicken because of the dont grow to fast advise i have recd in the past.Right now iam making good profits,more than i have ever made but ive only been at it a short time and i am definetly not a experienced business man by any means,I think maybe Ill give it a few more months and keep banking my cash and working like a dog Id like to thank all the people on this board for your excellent advise and for sharing your experiences and knowledge.

trev

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#159046 10/21/06 09:26 AM
P
I recommend getting a true hardwired phone line, that way people can find you. It's more money but u get off to the right start. It's like getting incorporated instead of a DBA. Getting Inc'd is more money up front but you wont' have a guy in the next county with the EXACT same name. The DBA is not worth much at sell time either.

The phone number becomes your identity. Have it forwarded to your cell.
I started with a cell and wished i didn't. Now as my company has grown, people call me directly on my cell instead of the 'office' phone. I'm still handling 75% of the calls. It'll take years for that number to fade away.

#159047 10/24/06 09:57 PM
T
trevman Offline OP
ive already noticed that the cell phone is driving me crazy, it would really be nice to have someone to answer calls for me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard