ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#158833 09/06/06 08:26 AM
H
I've got some tension among employees because they've been sharing their paystubs and getting up in arms about pay. I don't have a ton of defense because I have hired people at different times and under different circumstances and thus have offered various rates of pay. My problem is that I don't know what I should be paying someone with no experience as opposed to someone with 5 years experience and so on...

Anyone have any info, feedback, suggestions, etc on how to determine one's pay??

Thanks,
Mike

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#158834 09/06/06 12:36 PM
M
Fire them all. All at once. Take a picture of them as they are leaving the workplace. Make a big poster of that and hang it in your shop. Make sure to explain what the significance of the poster is to your new replacement crew. Did you open your shop for your sake or for that scurvy crew?

#158835 09/06/06 05:04 PM
S
Aren't having employees fun? [Linked Image] I've had similar problems - mainly comparing my rate scales with other companies. When they start complaining or comparing, I tell them "If the grass is greener.......".

[This message has been edited by Sixer (edited 03-11-2007).]

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
#158836 09/06/06 07:16 PM
L
Where I work all journeymen get paid the same rate, makes no difference if youve been there one year like myself or the guy thats been there for 15 years, once your 90 day probation is up you get the full rate. The apprentices get paid according to what year of school they are in. I was told the payrate is like this because of previous paycheck comparing problems and it makes accounting easier.

#158837 09/06/06 10:35 PM
M
lone,

i'd be pissed in this situation. Why should i be paid the same as that guy that play hide and seek all week?

Why should I bust my ass and get the same rate as him?

conversly, if I was to be a slacker, this is great. Make it through 90 days and then coast...

#158838 09/06/06 11:05 PM
M
but les, what if my slacking is the same as the other guys best? Should I be punished?

yes, I am playing devils advocate

#158839 09/07/06 12:09 AM
S
"Where I work all journeymen get paid the same rate, makes no difference if youve been there one year like myself or the guy thats been there for 15 years, once your 90 day probation is up you get the full rate."

I agree with that totally, however I only have one journeyman working for me so I'm able to increase his pay as he gains more experience. Of course if I end up bringing on a second journeyman, I won't be able to do that - he will start at whatever I'm paying my current journeyman.

I also have to consider paying journeymen more in order to retain them. They are few and far between in this area, so there has to be some incentive for them to stay.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
#158840 09/07/06 01:10 AM
M
There are crews and teams that get very efective at lowering the bar in unison for all. They will try to convince you that they are not slacking," why I am installing just as well as all the other employee's here do. You are just expecting too much production out of us poor devils......" Think goverment employee's for a good example of that.

#158841 09/07/06 04:39 PM
L
LK Offline
"There are crews and teams that get very efective at lowering the bar in unison for all."

All the more reason to have flat rate schedule, good for the customer, and good for the employee, the hours are actuals, and the job conditions are taken into account, so any slack in preformance, can be measured, on the other side, slackers love T&M, it has no measured time, so preformance can become an argument.

#158842 09/07/06 08:08 PM
L
Sixer, All of our journeymen can pretty much handle whatever we may run into on a service truck, least experienced guy has 6 years or so in the trade. Some guys are better at certain tasks than others, the managers job is too match the task with the best guy for the job. I am not good at running conduit, I can if I have to but it takes me forever to get it to look good but I do most of the control wiring and troubleshooting so like I said it equals out.

Electricians are in very high demand here in SE Florida so they pay well to keep us around.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard