ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 216 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#158843 09/07/06 09:07 PM
Cat Servant
Information.

A commonly held view... which is a matter of religious belief in Eastern Europe, and some other backward places... holds that all information is a valuable commodity, to be hidden away, and never shared. Sad to say, most management types seem to think along these lines.

The other view was expressed by Adam Smith, in his "Wealth of Nations." The free flow of information in the marketplace resulted in a "hidden hand' that directed things in the most useful directions.

So where am I going with this? Documentation- and sharing it, publicly, as soon as possible. The employees are your "marketplace," and they NEED this feedback!

It's probably not possible to post every day for every man. It most certainly is possible to post every job when it closes! On bigger jobs, a continuing tally can be posted.

Such a posting would be simple: Price of job, money for materials, money (or hours) for labor. Let the guys see how they're really doing, in a timely manner.

If the crew sees that, say, Joe is consistantly coming in under target... and know that Joe is getting paid more... watch their attitudes change!
Likewise, if they see that Joe's jobs bring in more money than theirs, they won't begrudge him his pay.

There are other issues... that's what management is all about... but honest, real figures are where you must start.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#158844 09/07/06 09:27 PM
L
Great idea John, no doubt it would also start some friendly competition.

#158845 09/08/06 06:03 PM
S
Dear Happi,
Im a 47 year old third year apprentice. When I started the machine shop had closed and I left earning 23.00 Per hour. At the beginning of my apprenticeship I started out at 8.50 per hour. Halfway thru my third year im at 13.00 per hour. Im well paid for a apprentice but I never asked or squaked about money. I appreciated the chance to learn a new trade some thing i always wanted to try. In return both my employers have had their trucks cleaned ( on my own time) parts inventoried and put into a computer. Never late nor taken a day off. If they squak too much get rid of them. Their are plenty of people who need to work. Its your trucks, your workmans comp,your insurance, if they are unhappy be some where else.
Sorry if I got out of hand, but I even pay all my own health insurance, But im happy. If they dont like it leave, I know a few people who would probably love to work for you,
Steve

#158846 09/08/06 09:07 PM
S
My current pay rate is never enough. I want more, and deserve to be paid more. I work late, I work Saturdays, I teach helpers who've never worked a day in their lives in the electrical industry how to do effective electrical work, I meet with homeowners, meet with inspectors, write-up punchlists, job orders, billing, I also explain to customers the best way to do a job, what I'm exactly doing and why Im doing it, talk to the boss on my own time when he might have a question about a job, etc, etc.

But in the end, I believe my pay is based solely on my experience and whatever the free-market dictates. I am a free agent who is always looking for the best opportunity so that I can succeed further in my career. Next stop? Licensed and Insured Electrical Contractor (Owner/ Operator).

Excuse me for babbling on, and on, and on.... and on.

#158847 09/08/06 09:17 PM
I
As much as it is owners choice to 'flat rate' the pay it is my choice to tell them goodbye.

I'll be damed if I accept the same pay as the less motivated regardless of how much the office tries to 'iron it out'.

The office does not know as much about the slackers as they think.

Do you really feel each of you employees is indeed equal? Are they all interchangeable?

I agree with Shockme77 to a large extent.

I am an asset to the company that they will have to pay for. If not I find someone that can.

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#158848 09/08/06 09:30 PM
L
Bob, The company I work for pays the highest in the area. The lazy and the screwups are weeded out during the 3 month probation period. I could see your point if the company was paying below or average wages across the board. You'd leave a job for a new job for less pay just so you are making more than others who work there?

#158849 09/08/06 09:33 PM
M
here is the million $ question, if each journeyman is not worth the same $, why should it be ok for a contractor to charge a customer the same t&m labor rate for the different guys?

i mean theoretically on a T&M basis, the best guy (the one that costs the contractor the most) will get the job done quickest (meaning less billable hours to the customer. am I off base here?

btw - all our guys get different rates based on their production (which we can measure fairly easily on service work.)

#158850 09/09/06 12:08 PM
I
You'd leave a job for a new job for less pay just so you are making more than others who work there?

Without a doubt, to a point, make it enough money and I might stay.

I would be concerned about the companies longevity if they are paying the highest wages for all their employees.

Some of those employees are not worth the above average wages.

I have bitten my nose to spite my face in matters of money.

I walked away from a great paying job when they where to slow reimbursing me for legitimate expenses (stock purchases for the job)

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#158851 09/09/06 04:04 PM
L
Bob, like I said before, the dead wood is weeded out early. The company has been in business for 40 years, they arent going anywhere anytime soon.

I agree with you on walking for reasons like slow reimbursement or if they try to screw you on OT or any money related matter. I'd leave over $10 if it were my $10.

#158852 09/09/06 08:47 PM
S
"I'll be damned if I accept the same pay as the less motivated regardless of how much the office tries to 'iron it out'."

I totally agree.

"I agree with you on walking for reasons like slow reimbursement or if they try to screw you on OT or any money related matter. I'd leave over $10 if it were my $10."

I've been there, done that. In fact, earlier this year I left a really good, organized company because of that. I was working with another mechanically able electrician on a 400amp multi-family dwelling service done in parallel with 3/0. I was cutting the lengths of copper at 30-31' so that they would long enough for the drip loop (you know, better to be a mile too long than an inch too short).

Anyway, the lengths of wire should have been cut 28'. So, after cutting 7 of the 8 conductors I was left with about 7' of conductor for the final run.

In the end, I had to run out to the supply house and buy another 28' length to finish the job. A month later $80.00 was taken out of my check to pay for the wire. I thought that sucked, and quit a week later. It was an honest mistake, don't F with my paycheck.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard