ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 229 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#158666 08/12/06 09:06 PM
C
I'll bite:
Mahlere - give us the long version...

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#158667 08/12/06 11:28 PM
E
Guys,

If you are having a little trouble figuring out what items you should work out pricing for...

Check out this link to NEBS forms.
http://www.nebs.com/nebsEcat/produc...ORM&key2=LOB+FORM&key3=PLUMBHEAT

Then enlarge the electrical form.

This is the form that I used as the guideline for my first version of my own flat rate pricing. It gave me a place to start and covers most everything for residential work.

It is designed as a workorder or invoice, but works well for doing an on-site manual estimate as well.

Just thought the info might help.

[This message has been edited by ExpressQuote (edited 08-12-2006).]

#158668 08/14/06 03:52 PM
M
Actually active 1 did. we posted at around the same time, i hadn't seen his yet.

you want the short version? call the other contractors in your phone book, ask their price, then cut it by a few dollars. You'll be raking in the money in no time [Linked Image]

#158669 08/14/06 09:13 PM
E
Price is perception.

If anyone hasn't seen this article from EC&M: http://www.ecmweb.com/mag/electric_serves_right/index.html

Just thought it was topical.

#158670 10/04/06 10:30 PM
S
^^

That was an outstanding article. I particuliarly liked this part:

The share-and-share-alike concept advocated by Nexstar and ESI will no doubt seem counter-intuitive to the contractor who wants to always stay one step ahead of his competition. When Raspino joined Nexstar, he was leery of giving potential competitors a look into the inner workings of his business, but then he saw how a group of 12 members in the Philadelphia area — some of who were direct competitors — would get together for dinner once a month to discuss their businesses and compare growth strategies. Seeing how they benefitted from that practice was enough to ease his mind. “When I started out, I didn't want to let anyone get that close because I thought they could take some of our ideas and become stronger competitors,” he says. “But look at those companies in Philadelphia. Even though they're networking with potential competitors, they seem to do really well.”

I am totally down with that. The industry as a whole needs to stop undercutting one another. I see it happen every day and if we dont stop it we'll all be making $8 dollars before too long.

(I did not mean to offend anyone who happens to make $8 per hour)

#158671 10/23/06 10:41 PM
E
This is not advice ...sorry. This is the reason why I stick to service, though I thank the guys who do rough-ins I prefer not to. There is just not enough money in it and you have to bust your balls to make money unless you slave drive a crew. Sorry for changing the subject.

#158672 12/06/06 06:14 PM
R
rws Offline
In the early to mid-90's, a company I worked for would square foot a house. When that guy started his business, most houses only had a plug per room and a light.

These days, I don't think you can square foot, unless you go high. I think you have to line item the labor and take-off the devices, as well as knowing who's buying appliances.

Wire seems to fluctuate with the price of fuel.

Labor unit on conduit is 3.25 per hundred feet, generally, and it might be the same or a little less, even though you are drilling studs and pulling NMC.

And I would separate the estimate into undergrounds, rough-in, and trim.

And, as a wise man said, when you write your contract, get half of your money up front. You've got people to pay, even if it's only yourself.

I think others are right. Someone wants a square foot estimate just in the hopes of getting a low bidder.

#158673 12/07/06 09:36 AM
I
ITO Offline
A builder gave me a price list to fill out and give back, but I am having trouble giving him accurate pricing-don't want to overcharge, but I also don't want to undercharge.

Run away its a trap.

Be very very careful giving unit prices, they will hold you to them and use them to beat you up.

101° Rx = + /_\
#158674 12/08/06 01:46 AM
I
ITO Offline
Another thought on this…

Sometimes I am forced by spec to give unit pricing.

There is a price for carrying an item, one for adding and item, and there is another price for deducting and item and they are not the same.

Adding a receptacle might run about $150 for this particular job, while the credit back for deducting it might run $95, and at the same time I might be carrying it for $125

GCs understand this and do it themselves.

[This message has been edited by ITO (edited 12-08-2006).]

101° Rx = + /_\
#158675 01/13/07 10:25 PM
P
How come the article in ECM shows a guy next to a commerical panel when the aritcle is about resi service work? (note the fire alarm pull station)
Regardless of the picture, it's a good article. It's all based on flat rate pricing.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard