ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 279 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#158630 07/21/06 06:59 AM
D
For those of you that are vets, there is a ton of oppurtunities open to us. Some of them are ranging from $25K to $5mill and above. Strictly for vets, no one else can bid on these.

So I pose the following:

Do most of you know the oppurtunities available to you?

Are any of you currently teaming up with other vet owned business's?

And, how many of you are reigistered with CCR, and ORCA?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#158631 07/21/06 10:29 AM
News to me Dnk - a new status category like VBE (Veterans Business Enterprise) maybe?

Since I don't actually own & operate an EC business myself, maybe I should offer my services as a veteran to lend status to others who arent. I'm thinking . . . . .

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
#158632 07/21/06 04:40 PM
D
Bruce, more and more companies, the likes of Lockheed Martin, and Merck are looking for veteran owned business's. It is a procurment now for them to do business with us.

Lucent Technologies just landed the Dept of the Army's IMOD contract. I contacted the manager of this project for Lucent, and introduced myself as a SDVOB. He has told me, that parts of this IMOD contract must be done by different dis-advantaged business's. Some are 8A certified, some women-owned and some percentage to veteran and SDVOB.

This IMOD is a global contract, with services needed everywhere including the states. In fact, I think california is one of the starting points.

Look at this one one in Georgia: http://www2.fbo.gov/spg/VA/AtlVAMC/VAMCCO80220/247%2D0294%2D06/SynopsisR.html

strictly for SDVOB.

Now the problem is, for me...being big enough to do this, hense the need for teaming up.

Here is one in my neck of the woods: http://www.fbo.gov/spg/VA/BuVAMC529/BuVAMC529/2440601476/SynopsisP.html

There is quite alot out there.

If anyone is interested in the guys name from Lucent, send me an email.

I'll post more info for the vets, if you guys want..

#158633 07/24/06 05:24 AM
I
This sounds wrong to me.

Believe me I have great respect for vets and would like to see them taken care of.

However closed bidding is not the way to go IMO.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#158634 07/24/06 06:59 AM
D
Bob, it's not wrong IMO.

Sure I'm biased because I'm one, but think of this. The Feds put out 97% of their contracts out for general bidding. Only 3% is being held for the disabled vets.

Now then, all the DV's have to bid on these. So in a nut shell, the government is still putting things out for bid, just limiting the oppurtunities for disadvantaged business's, first.

If no-one is sized to do the contract, then it moves down the list, and most of the time, ends up being bid by the general public...

Unfortunatley, the current amount of contracts being awarded to DV only sits at .39%, yet the law calls for 3%.

Link Copied to Clipboard