ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#158502 06/29/06 09:54 PM
H
I'm thinking of converting to an LLC. I seem to remember reading that if I do then I must show this ("LLC" or "Inc") on all of my business forms i.e. proposals, business cards, & corespondance. Is this correct? If so, then what about truck/van markings?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#158503 06/30/06 02:50 PM
T
Helectric,

Yes...you are supposed to state your LLC or Incorporated status on all advertisements and other public documents such as checks, bills, etc. (Make sure you use the right one: either "LLC" for a Limited Liablity Company, or "Inc" for a corporation.) The reason for this is that it puts the public on notice that the individuals with which they are dealing have limited liability as to the debts (and some of the liability of) the company. If you don't do this, then a court could rule that you have "pierced the corporate veil", and that you are personally liable for the debts and obligations of the company. In other words, the court could rule that the public was lead to reasonably believe that you and the company are indistinguishable (i.e. a sole proprietorship), and therefore they will treat you as such. You definitely don't want that to happen.

Kevin

P.S. This even applies to truck/van markings. Leaving it off of one or two things isn't going to hurt you in and of itself, but if you leave it off of too many things it could. Best to play it safe and list your limited liability status on everything. Better safe than sorry.

[This message has been edited by TNSunny (edited 06-30-2006).]

Kevin
#158504 06/30/06 05:44 PM
Cat Servant
WHo do you want to get paid? Who do you want to be sued? Who is on the hook for taxes?

The law sees "Helectric" as Mr "H" doing electric work, and will hold Mr H to account.

"Helectric Inc" or "Helectric LLC" are seen by the law as their own person, separate from Mr. H.

Anything the customer sees, that fails to mention the "LLC" or "INC" might be used to argue that they were dealing with Mr. H, and not Helectric Inc.

#158505 07/01/06 12:40 AM
H
Thanks for the informative replies. I was thinking of this as a formality but it's obviously more than that! I'll be making some changes.

#158506 07/02/06 10:07 PM
H
Well, it would be best to check with your attorney. I believe the advice given is good and if it's no problem for you to do then that's the end of it. However there are lots of corporations who do not put "Inc" after their name in all cases. Probably lots of reasons for not doing it, particularly with logo's and name identities.

I would think that if you aren't using your own name for the business this would be less of a problem.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 07-02-2006).]

Link Copied to Clipboard