ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#158469 06/08/06 01:41 PM
T
Tiger Offline OP
After many years of running around for realtors, buyers or sellers giving free estimates, I quit. In all honesty, they don't want me to do the job, they want a number for negotiations.

In tracking these I came to realize that I'm not averaging minimum wage. I think I'll let the competition do it for a couple decades.

Am I getting burned out, or just burned?

Dave

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
C
Does it matter if you're burnt out or just burnt?

IMHO, you came to your senses.

As bizarre as this sounds - I just had this same talk with another EC friend of mine...freebie estimates.

After about 1 minute of my talking, he agreed - the free ride is over...gas and time DO cost.

Now if I could just convince him that working
40 hrs for $65 is not as profitable as working 30 hours for $85...

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
L
LK Offline
When they call, we let them know there is a service charge, for any professional estimate, about 20% of the callers hang up, but the larger percent are willing to pay, after all, there home inspector charges, and so does every other business.

L
We stopped offering free quotes nearly 15 years ago. Not to say we never offered a free quote, but it's not our SOP. When customers request a "free" quote we refer them to the discount guys.

Cat Servant
Fact is, I'm tired of wasting my time with folks who have no intention of ever getting something done, and just want to play games.

It's one thing when a homeowner want an idea of how much it will cost to run power to the hot-tub he's planning to get; it's something completely different when Joe Realtor just wants to dicker over the price!
Realtors, and everyone else involved in the transaction, are famous for never getting a single thing done. These days, everyone thinks they're Donald Trump!

B
If you know most of the work you are giving estimates for is not actually being done than you are certainly justified in charging for your time and expenses.

E
For Home Inspections we quit giving written estimates, free or charge. The only thing we will do is let them fax a list and give them a verbal guestimate. I got tired of having the same real estate agents call for estimates and never do the work. Some get quite mad and swear they are going do the work, but they NEVER do.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 06-11-2006).]

S
Had a job just like you're speaking of a while back. Realtor called me, wanted me to look at a house on the lake, and tell them what it would take to bring it up to code. The wiring in the whole house and out buildings were "butchered" by the obvious "do it yourselfer". I spent probably 4 hours or more making notes to correct the "horrendous" mess that it was in. It should have been a luxury home, but was turned into a nightmare. Gave the estimated price. Never heard from them again. Wasted time. I've learned better now.

[This message has been edited by sparkync (edited 07-03-2006).]

Link Copied to Clipboard