ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I'm going crazy understanding the state of Florida license application packet. Is it just easier to take the local registered electrician exam. I don't plan to do work all over the state. Any help would be great.

Sid

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
L
Don't have mine yet but studying. The state EC is a real pain in the butt with the credit report, $10,000 in assets you have to show, supervisory experience you have to show.

I'm going to get a county license and pay the reciprocation fee in the other counties I want to work in. Part of the exam prep class I'm going to be taking is they set up for you to take the Collier county test which is the test with the least amount of paperwork and restrictions, The company who gives the test comes to our location so we don't even have to go to Collier county.

Where are you located?

N
thats what i just did ,, took the local test and plan on going to the surronding counties to get those also. I dont plan to do work right now in say South Florida either so it works out good for me to.

A
I took the test back in 1999. I skipped Journeymans, Master and all that. Straight to the EC.

As I remember, they only offer it twice a year and there were 32 books that were needed (they asked questions specifically out of each).

Five hours of Code and Technical, three hours of business. It was a hard test. I have heard it compared to the PE exam by engineers who have taken both.

It is a pain and those that really have an EC (not grandfathered in off a county license..I really hate that, they allowed for a year) deserve some credit.

Maybe the county-reciprocity thing is perfect for you if you don't really need to do work all over.

Often time I have been required to buy a local license anyway (Miami can kiss my arse) even though it is supposedly illegal.

<shrug>

C
I have recently talked to a guy who took the exam. He aid he totally bombed it. I think he said like a 50+%. He told me he took that Mike Holt class and scored in the 80s. www.mikeholt.com on the home page to the left there are some tabs. One of them say Florida. Go there and follow instructions. I don't know if it is true what he said but im checking it out

A
Yes, if I can pat myself on the back for a minute...I made a 97 on the exam. First try.

I went to the Mike Holt class just prior.

Link Copied to Clipboard