ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#158441 05/14/06 08:50 AM
N
Hey guys, Im really needing some input on how you guys meet your deadlines on bid due dates. After 5 years in buisness and a lot of peaks and vally's, From residential contractors with no money to non productive labor problems, ive finally been able to land some buisness relationships with rooted commercial contractors and pleanty of opportunity for high profit fast pace retail space fitups, renovations, and new construction. I am determined to stay the course and let my assets allow me to capitolize on these projects. I belong in the field. Layout,labor coordination, material handling and electrical construction with my men is where i belong. However, im being bombarded with blueprints that have a 1 week turnaround on BID DUE DATES. I feel obligated to have all of them quoted because you have to keep the ball rolling and with permit issues on long island you can be delayed on some start dates and you cant win them all. But i cant keep up. right now i dont have the working capitol or enough prints to take on an estimator full time, however im cought in the middle. Does anyone know a economic yet efficiant way to resolve this dilema. Any input will help. Thank You.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#158442 05/14/06 10:20 AM
B
How are you currently doing your bids?
Are you using any estimating software?

#158443 05/14/06 11:04 AM
C
I've often considered opening an "estimating shop".

Sole purpose: Provide estimates for those that can't - either by design or choice.

I'm certain I can't be the only person who has ever considered this.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#158444 05/14/06 12:14 PM
M
celtic, there are many already out there. they are called guesstimators.

automate the process. The longest part should be the take off. Automate your assemblies and go from there. You can either use a bid program or create your own excel sheet.

one point of reference, if you truly want to just be in the field, look to take on a partner. You will need someone to monitor the business side of everything, otherwise you will perpetually go through the peaks and valleys and never have any real momentum or continuity.

#158445 05/14/06 05:19 PM
B
one point of reference, if you truly want to just be in the field, look to take on a partner. You will need someone to monitor the business side of everything, otherwise you will perpetually go through the peaks and valleys and never have any real momentum or continuity

I tried that and wouldn't recommend it. We won't mention how many thousands of dollars that little exercise has cost me.

#158446 05/14/06 06:27 PM
M
so you picked the wrong partner. do a better job next time.

if you are good in the field and that is what you like, you will limit your opportunities and your growth.

It's not that it can't be done, but after working the field, then bidding on jobs, when is there time to actually monitor and run your business?

By that I mean - HR, invoicing, collections, etc. The core items that let your business prosper or fail.

#158447 05/15/06 12:29 AM
E
Hi Guys,

As many of you already know, I am working on getting my consulting and coaching business for contractors going.

I am wondering if you guys might consider checking out my version of pricing/estimating software on my website.
www.ExpressQuoteOnline.com/quote

Username: electric1
Password: electric1

And perhaps you could share your opinions on the software. So that I can improve it.

Glen

[This message has been edited by ExpressQuote (edited 05-15-2006).]

#158448 05/15/06 03:23 AM
B
so you picked the wrong partner. do a better job next time

No thanks. I ain't doing that again.

#158449 05/15/06 03:25 AM
B
Username: electric1
Password: electric1

doesn't appear to be working

#158450 05/15/06 07:16 AM
M
bris,

that's fine. i'm really not telling you too. but my point was that just because you had a bad experience and won't do it again, doesn't mean that it's the wrong decision for the original poster.

there are thousands of partnerships out there that work better than any single operator unit.

good partnerships allow each person to focus on what they are good at, thereby increasing the effectiveness. they are not for everyone, but for some people they are the best way to go.

too often we assume that becuase something did not work for us, it won't work for someone else. that may not have been your intention, but that is how your post came across.

since a partnership did not work for you, tell the op why. What should he look for in a partner? what should he avoid? tell him your experience. not making any assumptions, but would your former partner have the same answer regarding yourself?

my point is, partnerships can be fantastic or they can be abysmal. but it really depends on the frame of reference and the needs of the people involved.

i look at it this way, would you rather have 100% of $500k and wear all the hats? or 50% of $2 mil and only wear 1/2 the hats?

[This message has been edited by mahlere (edited 05-15-2006).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard