ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#158361 04/28/06 09:53 AM
J
Jps1006 Offline OP
I'm doing payroll right now and wondering:

Do you guys do daily timesheets or weekly timesheets?

For service work it would be nice to get a daily time sheet. I find I'm always a week and a half back of double checking that people have been billed, whether for extras or service calls etc.

If I was mostly service I guess I would consider daily to be turned in right away. If I was mostly contract or multiple day/week sized jobs, weekly would be find. But consistantly switching between the two types, I'm wondering what you guys do.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
E
As LK mentioned, I try to sell all projects using upfront fixed bid pricing, so, in that case tracking employee time sheets weekly works fine.

But, I still like to break-out the time sheets to the appropriate projects for tracking purposes. If you are consistently relating the time to the project, you can spot inconsistencies and areas where training may help improve time and efficiencies.

B
We do all our service work, with a contract price, so there is no need to track time

So how do you know you're not doing the jobs at a loss?

M
quote"So how do you know you're not doing the jobs at a loss?"

I bet they know thier breakeven costs and price the job such that they exceed the breakeven by the margin they want.

T
I work alone, so I have job sheets that I use to track my time & expenses. It's a simple way to check my bids, price sheets & estimating abilities.

Dave

S
We have daily time sheets that the foreman usually fills out. We also have to write a daily description of work performed. it makes it easier to catch extras on jobs that the foreman wasn't aware was extra.

S
sjb Offline
Hi jps1006 and all,

I created a daily time record form that our guys fill out each day - also filling out a separate sheet for each job if they are at multiple sites in a day.

They work great for both billing time and material jobs and for tracking contracts, as well as planning for the next day.

I've posted it in both MS Word and .pdf at www.bretonelectric.com/forms.htm if you want to take a look. Feel free to use - just save to your computer and print out double-sided.

Wendy (electrician's wife)

Broom Pusher and
This is from a "90% Contract Work, 10% T&M Work, 0% Service Work" point of view, sprinkled with a mixture of "Project Manager / Foreman / Designer / Journeyman" approaches
[Linked Image]

For projects which exceed 3 consecutive work days in a single week, weekly time sheets is common.
These are distributed to the individual employees with their weekly paycheck (or included with the payment receipt for those whom prefer direct deposit).

Each employee is responsible for filling out their own time card and submitting it to a designated person / location at the end of the work period.

Submission may be to the Foreman of a project, to the P.M., delivered personally to the Office, or faxed in.

Turning in time typically is done no later than the end of the workday on the following Monday (or by noon of the following Tuesday).

Supervision personnel may tally overall production per week, for logistics reasoning and such, or they may take the weekly employees' time tally instead of / in conjunction to, the individual employees' records of work hours.

With my Project Manager Hat On:

It's much easier to compile and place my signature of verification to standardized weekly time sheets - where the Supervising employee (Foreperson, for example) has compiled a single sheet for all personnel on that job for that _Entire Week_.

When workers are "Bouncing Around" projects, its better to tally individual time sheets - since they will be applied to different jobs and task codes.

With my Foreman Hat On:

I have more than enough paperwork to deal with to deal with individuals' time and task codes allotments each week - especially if the project happens to include FWOs and other C/Os done exclusively on a T&M basis.

When it comes to a person's paycheck, I really do not want to cause any delay in payment at all!
If I have to collect the time cards for everyone and turn into the Office, this is done well before the end of the day (like within the last hour latest), verified by me, signed, allocated / recorded to personal records, then submitted in person to the Office that day.

With my Journeyman Hat On:

I really do not want to deal with filling out "Over Detailed Time Cards" - and would rather have the Project Foreman do this stuff instead of me.

Keep in mind the last thought entry above - the With my Journeyman Hat On: one.
This includes Journeypersons, Apprentices and Helpers.

Try to keep the amount of data they have to fill into the time card to a minimum.
If you wish to include "Task Codes", make them simple to comprehend, and even easier to fill into time sheet cells.
Otherwise you will get highly erroneous time sheets, and disgruntled field personnel.

When jobs are done as T&M, I have normally been required to fill out "T&M Tickets" for total materials used that day/days / week; and the time accrued per employee.
Each employee still fills out their own personal time card, and normally they will submit on their own (including me).

Not being involved with very much Service type work, I have no idea what is best here.

To sum things up:

If you create weekly and individual time cards / time sheets, make them easy for the field personnel to fill out - in all terms relevant (understandable codes, ample field / cells areas and sizes to legibly write stuff in, etc.), and also contain the necessary information for the Project Manager to tally for the given job, along with making it relevant for Book Keeping / Controller and related Officers to use.

If the forms are difficult for the employees to fill out correctly and legibly, when it gets to the Office, time gets wasted calling that / those persons to verify everything!

Use this as a primary consideration of the format for your time record documents.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard