ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
NJI Offline OP
At what point do you walk away and figure it a loss. I have had a customer refuse to pay the last payment in a series of three total payments for a renovation. the bill is small but I was depending on it. I live in NYS and short of hiring a collection agent with a bat... how do I best go about collecting.

I have worked as an apprentice and on to a journeyman in a general construction company. 90% of what I do is residential. I have an associats degree in electrical technology. I have started my own buisness this year and am with out the help of other electricians. this is why i find this site so helpful.
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
M
What about small claims court?. But that does tie up necessary time.

C
What is the building dept. going to do ???

Take them to small claims court...even a summons from SCC is sometimes enough for some people to pay up.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
N
NJI Offline OP
well, the remainder of the bill is 2k. I would be happy spending a day to get it back. i've already spend a little bit of time meeting with the contractor and the non-paying customer. i've set up a meeting with her(customer), contractor, and myself. She is trying to be very manipulative. we all need to sit down. after that probably small claims. i have no intention of wasting my time in any kind of court.....i'm basicly srewed. chalk it up to a learning exp

I have worked as an apprentice and on to a journeyman in a general construction company. 90% of what I do is residential. I have an associats degree in electrical technology. I have started my own buisness this year and am with out the help of other electricians. this is why i find this site so helpful.
M
i'd go with the bat

makes you want to do all sorts of illegal things when you have a customer who is so blatantly unscrupulous.

L
What about a lien on the property. Won't get your money right away, but it will show up if they ever refinance, sell, or try for an equity loan. Who knows it might be better then just forgetting about it totally.

N
NJI Offline OP
well, i've thought about a lein. isn't a small claims court first? then they help you with the lein? or go for both? I want to walk away with minimal effect. if I look like the bad guy for going after someone's buisness then it will reflect on me...right now this all reflects badly on her, i have not done anything to her...yet

N
NJI Offline OP
i think i will take that into acount next time. it sounds like a good rule to follw regardless of wether it is the area's law or not. ask for final payment get your final inspection, wich is what gets you your co. with out it they can't continue buisness.

D
Just out of curiosity....

What would happen if the HO didn't care about the final Inspection?

What could the township do legally to them?

I don't know how it works in NJ, so I ask...

Lets say it was a kitchen remodel,not a use and occupancy issue...

Dnk...

[This message has been edited by Dnkldorf (edited 04-04-2006).]

N
NJI Offline OP
that is almost what this is. no permit required for construction. so.. all I needed was a limited re-wire permit issued by the town and a inspection. not a whole lot to hold over the home owner if no payment

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard