ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#158083 04/09/06 11:12 AM
I
There is an EC on another forum that uses the following as his signature.

Combining the security of self-employment with the prestige of blue-collar work

I think that sums up some of the problems you business owner face.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#158084 04/13/06 07:39 PM
T
Tiger Offline OP
I appreciate everyone's responses to this. This is my 21st year contracting, dnkldorf, but I've avoided employees like the plague. I see other people's employees & think..."I'm not paying for that." The other point I hear from contractors is that they went through 30 or 40 guys to get the good 3 or 4 that they have now.

In all my 21 years I haven't seen any time of year that is commonly slow. I've been busy and slow around every holiday & in every season.

My quote from Stone's book is a small piece of his thoughts on the matter. In other areas of the book he mentions the importance of creating a position with good pay & benefits so you have a reputation for being a high-quality employer which attracts high-quality technicians.

The advise from reno is another important point he makes. Your business is successful because you reach the sales goals you need to keep work coming down the pipeline.

Dave

#158085 04/21/06 08:32 PM
V
I suppose im lucky,my boss is verry fair,he makes every employee an partner in the company after they show there loyalty and ability.therfore we all share in the ups and downs,and understand what it meens when we are slow, and we are all trying to get more work for the company.there are no layoffs becouse we just dont get the profits from the work that isnt there.when we are slow we go out and try to drum up more work.this also cuts down on moonlighting becouse we are all trying to help the company grow.

Patrick
#158086 04/22/06 07:44 PM
Cat Servant
Sometimes we forget just how special we are...

Not to long back, I met a nice lady... who was amazed at how often I would come home for lunch, or finish early. My explanations that I was simply making use of my work schedule -which was often determined by the customer, or the nature of the work- was not truly understood.
Fast forward to today, where I have been working all sorts of hours in the past week. Long days. Early starts. Late finishes. Weekends. Evening service calls.

Only now is this lady beginning to understand what it means to be a contractor! Or, for that matter, the nature of construction!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard