ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
K
I'm wondering what limits other contractors put on warranties. We have been using a basic 1 year parts and labor(with some exclusions) for both commercial and residential. I have noticed lately that some are reducing the commercial warranty to 90 or 180 days, especially on remodel work. What do you guys do?
K

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
D
We pass the manufacturers warranty on to the end user, labor is not included, just the part. Unless it was a legit mistake made on the installation, then labor is covered...

Dnk...

M
Check with your state regulatory agency's rules and regulations. Some if not all states require a minimum time length, usually a year, for warrenty on work provided to homeowner's. Some states extend that to any facility. Pay's to check first.

M
LK, is that on New Installs? Retrofits? or Repairs?

New installs being new construction, additions, etc.

Retrofits being service upgrade in an existing house

Repairs being just that.

I don't know what is required, but we do a 5 yr warranty on labor.

CA law is also a year from time of completion on all of the above

D
How do you guys cover labor costs on something you never spec'd out?

You do a job, where the engineer spec'd something out and you install it. You install it perfectly, and the thing goes bad due to wrong application, junk/cheap items, or a host of other reasons and you eat the labor to either change out or replace?

Or are you talking about something your business spec'd out and it went bad?

Dnk..

[This message has been edited by Dnkldorf (edited 02-08-2006).]

Cat Servant
Our law requires a one year warranty as well...though I did tell one (nervous type) customer that our work was guaranteed at least untill his check cleared :-)

L
30 Seconds or 30 feet - which ever comes first ! Standard around here is 1 year - I have gotten jobs when the customer is on the fence by giving them a 2 year in writing.
I once told a customer that when they use the dimmers for the first couple of times , to be sure to turn then slowly because this only lets out a little smoke instead of a room full of smoke

K
kd Offline
I have had electronic stuff go bad and the customer insists on free re-installation. I usually eat the cost.

L
We have several customers (retail) who supply their own ballast's. When they fail, the customer pays the regular labor charge to have them replaced. They can deal with the the mfg on the return goods warranty.

Link Copied to Clipboard