ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
I can understand a non-compete clause for existing customers of a former employer who are not looking to go elsewhere with their business. But to say someone cannot work right in their home town, after working for someone else, who also happen to be local, is nuts. IMO it's discrimination!

75 miles??? Do people actually sign these things?
What is the incentive to go out on your own if by law you have to work 25, 50 or 75 miles away? In those cases that makes it prohibitive to even work on your own. Consider today's fuel prices. You are automatically as a huge disadvantage having some much more overhead. Isn't it hard enough to embark into self-employment???

Why not just prosecute or discipline those who DO actually "steal" customers?

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
L
LK Offline
Speedy,

"Do people actually sign these things?"

Yes every day, when they sign a service order or installation contract, there is a non-compete clause, when the customer signs they accept the terms.

You said you would never sign that, if you work for some companies, they have the non-compete clause in their service and installation contracts, same dog different trick.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 12-22-2005).]

I
Do people actually sign these things?

Yes, I have.

For the company they got the peace of mind I could not go to work for their direct competition.

For me I received a guarantee of my full weeks pay if they had work for me or not.

At this point it has expired but I would most likely do it again if asked.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
Yes every day, when they sign a service order or installation contract, there is a non-compete clause, when the customer signs they accept the terms.
Sorry if I sound confusing. I am talking about employment contracts, not work or service contracts.

A clause in a service contract I know protects a company from having it's clients steal it's workers away for less money. Those I understand.

Maybe not being in the big city is the reason I see employment clauses as rediculous.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
W
It is funny to me how this thread went off on to sign or not to sign a non-compete clause and "stealing" other peoples work...and here I thought that I was the only one who could not keep focused...lol

S
Going back to starting the business, I had printed off some 1/2 sheet ads which I hoofed around town and distributed to about 500 homes. It got me a bit of work and from there it was word-of-mouth that got me more work. As time went I took a cheap small word ad in the local newspaper on Fridays, which got me even more work.

[This message has been edited by Sixer (edited 03-11-2007).]

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard