ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#157476 11/10/05 08:05 AM
D
If you could define what "being successful" means to you, how would you do it?

One guy might think having fifty trucks on the road, making high 6 or even 7 figure salary, is what it is all about.

Yet to another it might mean, being able to see his kids more often and having food on the table.

I tend to be on the simpler side........

Any thoughts?
What's it mean to you?

Dnk.....

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#157477 11/10/05 03:24 PM
T
IMO success involves having children that know your name. Most contractors that make 6 figures work very long hours & don't have much time for their family. However success also involves making enough to keep your family in a house and good medical care.

Dave

#157478 11/10/05 03:27 PM
T
I should add that in some parts of the country you need a 6 figure income to provide a house and good medical care.

Dave

#157479 11/10/05 04:14 PM
R
Count me in as the 2nd description.

But...

Success, in general means being able to live yor life the way you choose. That may be working extended hours, or it might be doing volunteer work. Being able to do "whatever makes you happy", seems to define success to me. Even if that's not necessarily "financial" success.

#157480 11/10/05 10:35 PM
E
Work as close to "normal" hours as possible, have weekends with family, and make decent money.

Of course in the ideal world it would be fast cars and faster women. [Linked Image]

#157481 11/10/05 11:22 PM
R
To me, it means not having financial worries, knowing that you can always take care of your family, being with your family, and wanting to get up and go to work instead of having to.

Tim

#157482 11/12/05 06:20 PM
L
LK Offline
"IMO success involves having children that know your name. Most contractors that make 6 figures work very long hours & don't have much time for their family. However success also involves making enough to keep your family in a house and good medical care.

Dave"

"Work as close to "normal" hours as possible, have weekends with family, and make decent money."

I agree with all the above, plus time out for fishing!

#157483 11/12/05 11:48 PM
J
Success-
1. The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted: attributed their success in business to hard work.
2. The gaining of fame or prosperity: an artist spoiled by success.
The extent of such gain.
3. One that is successful: The plan was a success.
4. Obsolete. A result or an outcome.

Success as contractor and businessman is totally different than success as a man (or woman), person, father, etc. I think the question needs to be rephrased:

"what is the desired outcome?"

Business - make as money as possible. Personal take home of $125,000-$150,000 would be nice, and any more would be welcome. The key is to keep the achiving of that goal from sacraficing the other desired outcomes in other areas of life. For me the other areas include:

Have a positive influence in my employees lives.

Treat people the way I would expect/want to be treated.

Having time to know, influence, and love my family.

Keep heathy enough to enjoy these things.

But most importantly, live in such a way as to hear "Well done my good and faithful servant"

#157484 11/13/05 12:48 AM
Cat Servant
Over the years, I have found that most of the "standard" measures of success mean pretty little.
Money- well, once your bills are paid, and you have food in your belly, more money doesn't add much happiness.
Material things- while one car will revolutionize your life, a garage-full of Bentleys only serve to annoy you. And, as long as that car gets me where I'm going, I'm not really concerned with what the other guy is driving. I am proud to say my bedroom looks just like "The Donald's" when the lights are out!
Status- since when have I ever cared much what folks think of me? Folks who seem to make a big thing out of how "respectable" or "successful" they are usually turn out to be either shallow, or crooks...

I enjoy this trade because I see a job through from dirt lot to opening day. When I say things are ready....fully confident that when the switch is flipped, the lights will work.....I feel I've really accomplished something.

I was recently told that a neighbor was saying what a kind, decent person I was. Hearing that made me feel pretty good. My customers also seem fond of me, and that is a "success." (Especially when this fondness is expressed by the customer insisting that the general contractor use me!)

In more "business" related terms, I fell a job is a "success" if it is completed in the time I anticipated, at the cost I estimated, and as I had originally imagined. I also measure "success" by how well the completed job serves the customer; if I am hired to add another receptacle, because I put the original one in a poor place- that is a failure to me. Ditto if my lighting solution doesn't work out as I had hoped.

One of my customers- a government agency- is sometimes forced to hire a different firm. That they keep coming back to me is also a "success."

My biggest success, however, is the loyalty and love that my household has given me. To come home, and sleep peacefully, surrounded by those you love is a real success.

Link Copied to Clipboard