ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
splunk1 Offline OP
Thinking about getting into Electrical Contracting ; possible home inspection in the future.

Background : Physics Major
Aerospace and Electrical Engineering
Network Engineering Certifications

Why? :
Tired of working for someone else
Lack of positions open
Future endeavors

What certifications should I obtain? I have NEC 2002 in front of me and a couple people familiar with NFPA stuff and Security Alarm Systems.

Want to start own business. Have much hands on engineering, and a bit electrical. Am I barking up the right tree? Can anyone point me to some pros and cons.

Tired of working with geeks. Thanks.

Splunk,
It looks like you are way over-qualified to be a home inspector....whatever over-qualified means, but the fact is, you've got to be happy.
Your electrical background is a plus, but the question in my mind is....How much do you know about installation? As I'm sure you know, the worlds of design and installation are vastly different. As I'm sure you also know, most of the time those worlds seem to be at each other's throats. My next question is...Can you make the transition to the "dark side"? If you can, then get out your blue jeans and work boots because there are plenty of ditches to be dug, and a lot of 4" RMC to be run.
I would consider working for an electrical contractor for a while to see if you like it.

Death to the Geeks,
Doc

P.S. Don't tell the Watt Mama that I said, "Death to the geeks." Because she R one. [Linked Image]

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
S
splunk1 Offline OP
That's the deal Doc... tired of sitting on my ass doing stupid crap, and being directed by idiots. Was a work boot guy before I started all the stuff I started. Don't know if I'll ever give up the engineering part, but all this computer bull and the economy is terrible. Lead me on the way to a good certifiable inspector type job, hopefully commercial stuff, tell me what I should do and how to approach, and I'm there.

S
splunk1 Offline OP
Oh, by the way I'm fine with installation type stuff, but I'm also worried about happiness and salary along the way. That's why I would tend to go toward commercial inspection, knowing NEC and NFPA. I'm also fairly proficient at the business side of things.

C
Get your P.E.license.Most states will let you sit for the electrical contractors exam with a P.E.license.Go take a exam cram course like Mike Holts and then take the state electrical contractors exam.
Go get'em.

Chris

I wish that I could give you more advice, but I'm afraid that I don't know you well enough. I will tell you that you've made a good choice in coming to this forum. There are a lot of good folks here. Many of them forgot more about electric than I ever learned.

Trying to remember,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
Splunk,
Go for it mate,
You have a large amount of practical experience, required, ahead of you.
An Electrician is not built in a day.
[Linked Image]

S
splunk1 Offline OP
Going to check out the PE exam and see how difficult it is. Haven't done all those damned calculations for a while. Been highly involved in Network Engineering, which I want to get out of. Thanks for the info guys; anymore to pass along would be great.

S
SJT Offline
Join the IAEI. Internationl association of Electrical Inspectors. (972) 235-1455 Its very infomative to the Electrical trade.
Good luck

Broom Pusher and
It may be worth while to work for an EC a few years, so you can get the feel of things.

If you try for your PE License, you would most likely need to do the EIT thing as any other would - which will also be a benifit as to how the business of Power Systems EE stuff goes.

You will need at least BSEE for the PE License, but there are allowances per State which can be used in lieu.

Good luck on your new Career!!! Take any and all steps necessary to become the best at what you do.

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard