ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#157341 10/16/05 07:49 PM
S
A GC I have done a few jobs for called me the other day and said he has two jobs he wants me to do BUT he has a problem with my contract. I asked which part and he said most of it.

Now, my contract is pretty basic and has the usual content (scope of work, payment schedule, GC/EC remedies if either defaults, warranty). Nothing is one-sided or unfair. He said all of his other contractors simply send him a proposal outlining the work they will do and he signs it.

I asked him, "Are you asking me to throw out my contract ?" He replies "No, but I think we can condense it down to one page." My contract is six pages. My first thought was, "I'm going to need a BIG piece of paper."

I told him to make a list of the specific parts of the contract he has a problem with and get back to me. Haven't heard from him sense.

The homeowner on one of the jobs I have done for this GC told me another contractor was telling her (the homeowner) he hasn't been paid for the last nine jobs he (the sub) has done for this GC. My first thought was, "Why are you still doing work for him ?"

I have yet to meet a GC who didn't have a hidden agenda....

(rant over)

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#157342 10/16/05 08:57 PM
H
That's why it helps to have a good contract. If it does nothing it puts them on notice that you aren't going to take any s**t from them. At best it scares them off so they will pick on an easier prey.

-Hal

#157343 10/16/05 10:13 PM
P
Runnnnn!

Power to the people
#157344 10/16/05 10:49 PM
T
His problem is with his own performance, particularly payments.

Tesla
#157345 10/16/05 10:58 PM
Cat Servant
At this point you pretty much have two sensible alternatives.
You can tell him, nicely, that you really aren't interested in wwhat others do, this is how you do it- and he'll have to take it or leave it. This approach is best made when you both have plenty of other work lined up (and don't need him), and are very certain that your contract is not unusual in any way, that it truly is representative of the the "normal" contracts out there.

The second approach is to have your lawyer talk it over with his.....that should clarify whether the GC has any reasonable concerns. Assuming your paper is reasonable, his lawyer will tell him to quit stirring the pot. (Or your lawyer will tell you he's playing a game).

#157346 10/16/05 11:13 PM
J
Big paper or small print. If it is a word doc. can't you click "size to fit 1 page"?

I hate to admit it, but I may be one of those "other" contractors. Not literally, I know we are both Chicagoland, but I doubt we really know the same GC. My contract lays out scope, price, and extra charges if collection becomes an issue. So far this has worked out fine being a small shop and having a lot of face time with the people paying me. It is harder to screw someone you know. But as I grow, which is in the plans, and even in the works, a better contract may be in order, to both ease risk exposure, and show people you mean business.

I have to agree, the more I deal with GC's the less I like them, and this is 10 yrs dealing with them in my own business. I should note we have one good remodel GC, but that is because we have found favor with the lead carpenter who pretty much runs the whole show from pricing to running the job.

One other possibility is that he's not "planning" on cheating; he's just not very professional. He is unfamiliar with contract law and the less he has "officially" agreed the safer he feels. Kind of how you or I would feel giving a 6 page contract to a high profile lawyer to do work on his house and getting a 12 page counter offer. We'd be intimidated thinking he knows more than we do.

This possibility is no safer than if he were an intentional cheat. You will still get cheated, just out of his ignorance and lack of fastidiousness, verses his ill intent and maliciousness.

But back to your contract, could you post or email your terms? I'd be curious to see how much I would consider necessary. Heck, all 6 pages might be good stuff.

#157347 10/17/05 07:28 AM
T
My contracts are one page, but if I heard the GC wasn't paying I'd change it to include a very large advance.

Dave

#157348 10/18/05 10:16 AM
L
Nearly all of the GC's we have ever worked for over 25 years of business were surely related to Willie Sutton. A family of thieves. (not to mention liars)

#157349 10/21/05 04:39 PM
T
A new EC working with a weak GC is running exposed.

Most weak GC's are, by definition, in over their head. Too many GC's should have never struck out on their own.

It is an absolute requirement for every sub to evalute the GC. You might run to your banker and have him pull a D&B report on a prospective GC. Tell him you'll pay him, but that you can't afford a D&B minimal subscription. ( Even a limited subscription goes for thousands per year. A single report to a subscriber is 'free' much in the manner of 'free minutes' in a cell phone contract. )

It is worth your while to contact prior subs, absolutely!

Tesla
#157350 10/21/05 06:27 PM
T
My first lawyer, may he rest in peace, gave me some advice in the early years. He said that GCs are some of the most personable people around, but they're liars.

I'm working for a very nice GC now, which I consider an exception to the rule.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard