ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#156857 07/21/05 01:10 PM
S
I got hit in the passenger side of my truck Tuesday. The other driver turned right on red, swung wide thru the turn and sideswiped my van. The costmetic damage is minimal BUT the impact caused my starter to short out. The short burned a hole in my starter. That's right, I have a hole in my starter.

Today is day two of not being able to work due to the van being out of commission. This, of course, happens when I am swamped with work.

The van is supposed to be fixed today barring any other electrical problems. The dealership won't know till they try and start it.

And then I begin the arduous task of trying to get reimbursement for my downtime from the other driver's insurance policy. We both have the same insurer........

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#156858 07/21/05 04:23 PM
Out here on the left coast, whenever there is a 2 car accident, it is extremely rare that both parties actually have insurance. Usually in these situations you have one party that caused the accident, and the other party that has insurance.

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
#156859 07/21/05 04:25 PM
T
Sorry to hear it, Sparky.

Downtime might be a tough one for you. The easier route is renting another van, continuing to work, and getting reimbursed for the rental.

The insurance company looks at it like...
A phone call for a tow to your mechanic.
A taxi or ride from a friend to the rental van.
Ride the van to your mechanic to transfer the tools and you're back in business.
When the van is fixed, tranfer the tools back & return the rental van.
A PITA, but not 16 hours downtime.

Dave

spelling

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 07-21-2005).]

#156860 07/21/05 06:15 PM
L
LK Offline
Yup, when we have the van out of service, we are renting a van that day, never miss a minutes work time, sort out the who, what later.

Renting a van, should not be something that puts pressure on your budget, try to treat your truck as a budget item, and be sure to get all your truck expenses, included in this budget figure, and include this expense on every job, this way, when the unexpected happens there is little or no strain.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 07-21-2005).]

#156861 07/23/05 01:48 PM
D
+1 for the rental option...

admittedly, if your back end is full of parts, it'll be a mess for the interim, but even if you leave you spares @ the dealer, you can get to the site and keep your tools with you while you main ride gets fixed.

Link Copied to Clipboard