ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#156851 07/19/05 06:27 AM
B
We are thinking of expanding our services into Connecticut.We have recently hired a n electrician with a masters license in Ct.
Does Ct. require the same ratio as Mass. one license to one helper?
Who does inspections? Are there laws regarding the time a job is started and a permit is obtained?
We have searched the Ct.state web site and can't seem to find any of this info.
Thanks

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#156852 07/19/05 07:44 AM
L
Why not just do what the guys from CT do here? Just do the jobs, license!! I don't need no stinkin' license!!

#156853 07/19/05 01:08 PM
G
Bigventure,I would check on the business license requirements for Ct. and also any state payroll taxes ( time worked other state). You sometimes have to get your insurance coverage to include another state. An electrial inspector in the state should be able to give you the license requirements. You're going to meet them sooner or later.

#156854 07/19/05 04:20 PM
L
Growler - Not really sure about CT but I can tell you this with certainty; I know a few (and there are many) RI electricians that work in MA, and have for over 20 years with no MA lic. They are insured, just not licensed. The same for MA in RI. Personally I have no problems with that. They are in fact, "qualified electricians" and are licensed, just not in the that state. MA and RI should be reciprocal like MA and NH, but they're not. Same with CT, and there is no good reason why they shouldn't be. If I lived or serviced the CT area, I certainly wouldn't turn down a job just because they chose not to offer reciprocal licensing.

#156855 07/19/05 07:47 PM
T
Big Venture

The ratio in connecticut works like this:

When you start a apprenticeship program, you need one License [E1 or E2] per apprentice.

this works for up to two licences in the company, ie 1 E1 [owner] and 1 E2 equals two apprentices. With me so far, cause now it gets weird.

After you have 3 Licences in company the ratio changes from 1 to 1 ratio to a 3 to 2 Ratio, ie 1-E1 [owner], 2-E2's equals 2 apprentices. To hire another apprentice, you would need to hire three more licenses for one apprentice.

At no time can an apprentice be on a job with out a licensed guy.

[this is how it was explained to me by the Dept of Labor when I set up my apprentice program, I only have 2 apprentices so I havent broached the 3-2 rule yet.]

In addition, you need to pay for your apprenticeship program yearly and you or your apprentices need to pay for themselves.

Also, apprentices get a raise by law every six months, or a reason why you are not giving them a raise.

Fortunately, the dept of labor is the only state agency that seems to work efficiently.

Inspections are done by the local authority having jurisdiction[AHJ]. Most towns have their own inspector, but some towns share.

No work done on a job until a permit is obtained[yeah right], that is the rule, but I am sure it changes from AHJ to AHJ

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by Tom H (edited 07-19-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Tom H (edited 07-20-2005).]

#156856 07/20/05 09:22 PM
B
Tom H Thanks for the info it was a great help.

Link Copied to Clipboard