ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 453 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I understand that the examination for an electrician's license in the Cayman Islands is very difficult to pass. I also understand that 8 persons ask questions of the applicant that includes the discussion related to the actual steps in beginning a job through the final.

What would you tell them if they asked about a building to be used as a machine shop?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
L
LK Offline
Joe,

Here in New Jersey, when they first started the lic. requirement back in the 60's they had a tough test, then an oral exam, with 4 members, asking job related questions, and for a while they had you make up offset, and saddle in 1/2" conduit, from what i understand the test became easer as the years have gone by.
What would i tell them, if they asked about a building to be used as a machine shop.
I would like to see the building prints, and all the equipment name plate information first.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 06-04-2005).]

LK:

I can recall when the practical part of the examination included wiring up 3-way and 4-ways, stop and start stations, and using a hacksaw to cut off 1/2" from one end of the thinwall when you returned the saddle or offset. The reamed raceway would pass.

The machine shop and your reply makes sense, so let's think about something similar.

A bathroom remodel?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
B
Are there many electricans from the states doing business down there? I have vacationed there and dreamed of just missing the cruise ship and taking up roots in such a pretty place. How about hurricane season? Is the work shutdown? Also, is there a lot of residential vs condo type work? or industrial/commercial?

Link Copied to Clipboard