ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BobH Offline OP
Just curious to know what some of you estimate for hours. Run a 60 amp 4 wire feeder with pvc (70 ft) hand dug,main panel in basement, install normal receptacles, lights, and wire up a furnace. 60 amp sub-panel with grounding electrode. Nothing out of the norm, just ball park to check to see if I'm too low.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
T
It would all be pretty straight forward except the hand digging. I'd call a trencher for 70'. Do your best to break it down into smaller tasks. Add up the tasks at your normal rate with materials. Add profit and you'll be fine.

Dave

L
I agree with Tiger- The labor spent digging 70' to the proper depth would be more then enough to pay for trencher. A trencher will give you a better job also - when all is back filled just a 4" wide path to seed!

Ken

L
LK Offline
Why make a project out of it, 6" deep RMC less digging.

M
with the cost of rmc right now i'd go with the pvc

L
LK Offline
We save money using RMC even at the increased cost , the labor is the real cost,
30% cheaper job using RMC.

T
LK, trenching or hand-digging?

B
BobH Offline OP
A friend of mine said he'll bring his small back hoe and trench the 70' for $100, cheaper than a rental and no trailer or delivery charges. I thought about rmc but this particular job just seems easier to run pvc right out of service panel through basement and out with an LB, plastic is just so darn easy to work with and cheap, 1" is .32 cents per foot. One question I have though is concerning the friend with the back-hoe, if he isn't insured I think myself or the homeowner might be taking on undue liability, what are some thoughts on this? Do you guys ever get help from buddies, etc and consider the liability involved.

L
Backhoe ? in someones yard ? think about this tire tracks in the yard, minimum of a 12" wide trench. torn up sod , a whole lot of hand raking doing back fill and filling in the tire tracks. I think a backhoe to be extreme in this case. I would have added the cost of rental of trencher into the job. whats a trencher cost to rent? how much more then $100.
Take no offense these are just my thoughts based on alot of commercial trench work.

D
My rental last month of a trencher was $145/day. They set the cut for 6". If it had been flat a 65' run would have taken 30 minutes.

(The area tilted, and had obstructions, so it took a little longer to rassle with the machine).

Don't forget to call JULIE
(or whatever you underground utility locatins service is called near you)

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 06-03-2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard