ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#156510 05/17/05 07:51 PM
L
LK Offline
“Employers have a legal responsibility to their employees to make the workplace safe. However, accidents happen even when every reasonable safety measure has been taken.

To protect employers from lawsuits resulting from workplace accidents and to provide medical care and compensation for lost income to employees hurt in workplace accidents, in almost every state, businesses are required to buy workers compensation insurance. Workers compensation insurance covers workers injured on the job, whether they're hurt on the workplace premises or elsewhere, or in auto accidents while on business. It also covers work-related illnesses.”

-From the insurance institute-

No one is giving legal advice, we try to bring all the information to those that are intrested.

Here in New Jersey we have no choice, we must cover employees driving our vehacles, under workers comp.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 05-17-2005).]

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#156511 05/17/05 07:58 PM
R
And that has *what* to do with your assertion that employees must be paid to drive the truck home? You totally avoided the subject. Nice save on the "not legal advise" thing though. [Linked Image]

#156512 05/17/05 08:07 PM
R
Oh LK, how funny! You're editing your previous messages to make them relate to my answers! I'll post a response, you'll go back and re-word your original message in order to make my reply less effective.

That's pure intellectual dishonesty. Truly amazing!

#156513 05/17/05 08:08 PM
L
LK Offline
Comp is based on hours worked, you should ask you insurance agent to go over all the technical parts of coverage, each state has it's own set of rules.

#156514 05/17/05 08:14 PM
L
LK Offline
No messages are reworded, what you are looking for is an argument, you are not looking for information.
Thank you,
Les

#156515 05/17/05 08:25 PM
R
But they're NOT WORKING! Hello? Is this thing on? Can anyone hear me? If you're worried about liability, make the drivers provide you with proof of insurance for off duty use of the vehicle, that's how all the Fortune 500 companies do it.

One more time: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY EMPLOYEES TO DRIVE THE COMPANY TRUCK TO AND FROM WORK.

LK is right and everybody else is wrong, all the lawyers, corporations, government agencies, courts, etc.

I've proved my point, I don't care how many overtime hours you pay your employees for driving the truck to work.

".....you can lead a horse to water....."

#156516 05/17/05 08:27 PM
R
Whatever.

#156517 05/17/05 10:17 PM
Cat Servant
Please. Romex, cool off a little. you are correct that the original post -should he pay for the ladder- bring up issues that are affected by laws that vary, and influenced by a labor agreement whose details we don't know.

LK is quite correct in pointing out that contracting, and employment, are filled with pitfall for the unwary. The stakes get scary when there's a lot at stake. For example, it is no surprise that the "finger lady" tried to scam Wendy's, and not Joe's Diner.

Other posters have correctly identified other, more human issues at stake....docking the guy's pay, absent a prior agreement, and even if legal, woll incur quite a bit of ill-will. Such ill-will often results in poor performance, destroys the morale of an entire crew, and can set the stage for theft, sabotage, and union organizing.

Over the years, I've met many who were a lot more zealous in protecting "theirs" and not nearly as zealous in making sure everyone else got treated fairly. (In construction, such folks are known as 'general contractors:-)' ).

I've had the good fortune to work with a man who worked his way up through the ranks in the Navy. This man, unlike so many others, never learned to boss, order, manage, or 'task." He learned how to lead. Leadership is the fine art of inspiring others to better themselves- because you can't push a rope.

What we don't know about the guy who broke the ladder is: is he a rope? If so, best to say adieu now. If not, he can be taught, and may well become a real asset.

#156518 05/17/05 11:05 PM
E
eswets Offline OP
RR,
I can't find where LK is saying you MUST pay your employees for driving a company vehical. I think that he is just saying that if you don't, you could face an employee suing you if he gets hurt in an accident and hes not on the clock. There is no injury insurancefor your employee, that is what work comp is for. No need to get upset. LK has many usefull post on this site. We enjoy his company.

#156519 05/20/05 02:27 AM
I like it when employees break stuff, then I get expensive tools for naff-all that I can repair. Example. Moron employee puts a dado-head from a radial arm saw on a Felder panel saw, less than 2 years old. These are illegal in europe because of the motor-brakes which are now mandatory. Head comes loose and gear-wheels the 6 foot sliding carriage down it's track like a NASA rocket-sled: $12,000 machine wrecked. Alan buys it off main dealer for $500 , and mends it. Keep wreckin' stuff chaps- it makes someone happy. That original ladder- I could have made 2 small ladders out of that!
Alan

Wood work but can't!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard