ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#156207 04/04/05 10:30 PM
S
Wonder if anyone could give me some input on a job in the "sales department" in the electrical industry. I have been doing "installation" for about 34 years now. It's about all I really can say I'm experienced in ( sometimes I have my doubts about that [Linked Image] I have been on my own for about 5 years now, and am "just getting by". It's getting sorta harder to crawl in attics, under houses, get 20 to 30 ft. in the air etc. etc.... Just had a thought. Since Electrical work is "in my blood", if there might not be another aspect of this industry that I might could get into, and still use my knowledge and experience, and not so much of my body [Linked Image] I was thinking something in the sales department, internet, etc.; maybe sales for one of the big manufacturers, Square D etc.. Anyone have any ideas. I'm thinking there ought to be something out there to make a living. Hard to make a living working for another Electrical Contractor at $12 to $13 an hour in my area, even in maintenance at maybe $18/hr. Just thought there might be some more ideas out there "for a tired and weary" electrician [Linked Image] I'm not "afraid" of work, I think sometimes I'm just "freyed" from work [Linked Image]
Just searching for ideas.. Thanks again..
Just to let you know one thing that's brought this on. IT'S TAX TIME AGAIN [Linked Image] Steve.....

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#156208 04/04/05 11:27 PM
B
Estimator for a large e.c or construction co.? Hear there's good money in it and estimators are hard to find. Just a thought. Sales is tough.

#156209 04/05/05 08:39 AM
S
I can relate to everything you said Sparky. Thought any about teaching? I am finding more and more states are going to a statewide license that will require "Continuing Education Credit/Units". I always appreciate an instructor who has "been there, done that" than one who read it out of a book.

That is something I am looking at anyway.

#156210 04/05/05 04:27 PM
D
How about inspecting, sparkync? I know a very good inspector who used to be a contractor. Sales is a skill of it's own, and many are second generation.

Dave

#156211 04/05/05 06:09 PM
S
Dave, thanks for the reply. My wife has wanted me to become an inspector for years, but in our area, you can't do electrical work in the same county that you inspect in, and I don't think I can make it on inspectors pay, especially in my area. I would probably have to do "side work" to make it. But that's an good idea anyway. I don't think I have any enemies in the inspection department where I live. They pretty well know my work and about me also, so I may have that much going for me. I may give it some more thought if need be. Actually, I have one inspector that lives a few houses down from me, that use to be my helper. Thanks again to all, for your input.. Steve

[This message has been edited by sparkync (edited 04-05-2005).]

#156212 04/06/05 08:00 PM
R
Sparkync,
It sounds like you got yourself in quite a quagmire. If you like the work so much, maybe you should consider building a business that will allow you to hire men to do the work, that is starting to wear you down. The industry is tilting towards residential service and it is becoming a place where you can actually make decent money. I have had the blessing of developing a company that allows me to work on it instead of in it. It has been exciting to see it evolve into a nicely structured service business.
Just a thought.

Have a Blessed Day,
Rick Bruder

Link Copied to Clipboard