ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#156004 03/07/05 08:44 PM
R
Hello guys, i just wanted to say thanks for all the great posts on this site. Ilearned more hear in a few nights about running a electrical contracting buisness, than i would have reading a couple hundred books on the subject. Just to give you some info on me, Had my license for ten years now and work a full time job at another place, but i want to go on my own now.I live in central new jersey. I have been studying for the last two years everything i can about running and electrial contracting buisness{very tired}.I have been working on my hourly rate wich is 140.00 an hour for now and i am thinking about going flate rate to make things simpler.If anybody has any suggestions i would love to hear them. Thanks again.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#156005 03/07/05 09:40 PM
J
I like to go by a price on everything. Hourly most will think your to high.
Make sure all your insurances are covered, liability, comp and health.

#156006 03/07/05 10:24 PM
R
Thanks joey d and lk.I never even thought about raising the cost per hour to do commercial, 175.00 that sounds good to me. My 140.00 an hour covers all my costs of doing buisness, i dont include healhcare or retirement in that figure. Do you guys have any advice on what point do i make the decision to leave my regular job to go full time? Like have x ammount in bank,x ammount of work secured any kinda rule of thumb for this? How did you guys first start out? Thanks.

#156007 03/07/05 10:27 PM
R
LK if you could e-mail me any info on the sales sheets you offer that would be great. thanks a million!

#156008 03/08/05 08:10 AM
E
Alot of guys find out the hard way that doing the electrical work is the easy part of running a business. All the administrative stuff can take just as long as working a job and is sometimes more difficult and stressful. And of course don't forget Uncle Sam will be a partner in the business like it or not.

#156009 03/08/05 08:15 AM
D
I would like to know from all of you if possible, how you need to charge $140/hr just to cover costs?

I am amazed that your overhead is this high.

Is it that expensive to live and work in NJ?

Rough numbers indicate $140/hr=$5600/week.
That's $22,400 a month?

How is that broken down?

Dnk..

#156010 03/08/05 10:09 AM
H
Romex, I'm in same situation as yourself, I've had my Masters lic. for ten years and am leaving a reg. job also. My situation will be a semi retirement allthough from the reg.job, house paid for no bills at all, so can wing going on my own somewhat easier. Myself i'm in western colorado and going to charge $45 hr. for local new house bidding work (still need to figure out service call charges myself)in past I've just gone bye and looked at stuff for people (which mostly were ranchers, people I know etc.) and didn't charge anything til I started doing any work, allthough I know that will have to change. Allthough I do have a high econamy neighbor called ASPEN home of very rich which is only 70 miles upvalley and in past while doing side jobs my hourly rate has been as high s $100 hr. the closer the job was to ASPEN, and they knew that was a bargon, all I can say and ask is dont ask for private emails on this, I'm sure there are other's wanting to follow all information that can be read on this site, glad I found it myself, I will sure fill you in on any mistake I do in the future. Thanks PETE (aka highvoltageguy)

#156011 03/08/05 11:04 PM
R
Yeah i guess the cost of doing buisness in new jersey isnt cheap.You have to remember, the 140.00 an hour covers everything to run the buisness like insurance, workers comp, auto insurance, tools, accountant,software, bank fees,ect...ect.Belive me once you list everything the dollars add up quick. I know my total overhead is 14,800.I already own a truck and tools to do the jobs, if i didn"t i would have to figure that in and the hourly rate would easily be around 150.00.Just remember also you need to pay yourself well to,why go out and be and electrical contractor,take all the risks involved, be responsible for other peoples lives and property but only make as much as you would working for someone else? Just my way of thinking about it. what do you guys think?

Link Copied to Clipboard