ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
aldav53 Offline OP
I'm wiring a unattached residential garage with a 100a sub-panel. In the past I've charge per opening plus a % of profit added on. I've also figuerd about how long the job would take at about $45 an hour plus materials. Any other better ways to estimate a residential job like this?

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Adding to the previous post.. I would charge about $20 an hour also for helpers on the hourly.

D
I say your on the right track there. However, depending where you are, your labor rate might be a bit low.

It might help to know what your competition charges, and work from there.

A
aldav53 Offline OP
I'm in the Phoenix Arizona area. Your probably right, I need to raise my rates, very busy here.
Whats the going rate in other places?

S
I just went to $65 per hour per man...

Charge the same rate for the helper.

shortcircuit

A
On some smaller jobs you might figure it by the day. Per opening works better if you have at least a few full days of work. The idea is:

If it only takes you 5-6 hours to rough do you have somewhere elce near by to make use of the 2 hours. Also the trip factor. Do you need to go back after drywall or sidding? More trips adds to the travel, set up, and clean up time.

Also if you estomate by the day you may give yourself more time if things don't go well. I allways figure more time then I think. I think it's an easy mistake to say "that wont take long".

Labor rate sounds low. You should try one of those online excel labor rate calculators. I don't have the address now. If your busy charge more.

Don't forget material mark up (your in business to make $ not a free shopper for customer electrical needs).

Tom

A
aldav53 Offline OP
Very good points, I need to raise my prices.
Doing a remodel now and have to charge Time and materials. Doing $45 an hour for me and $45 for my one helper, I already told the customer that. But will change for the future.

Link Copied to Clipboard