ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#155946 02/25/05 07:26 PM
J
Jps1006 Offline OP
I'm doing some office work today, entering data, reconciling, organizing etc...

Where do you guys find is the best way to file your job material receipts and why?

I'm trying to decide if I want to create a file "supplier X 2004" and file receipts by date, or if I just want to stuff receipts that pertain to a specific job in a job file. I'm not sure it all matters too much, but I'm curious if anyone finds a particular way more benificial, and why.

Thanks.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#155947 02/26/05 02:18 AM
N
I place all material reciepts and a copy of all time cards in the job file for each and every different job. This makes it easier to determine profit or loss on a job. It also lets me more easily find any warrenty issue information. ( EG. had a customer want me warrent lights he had purchased 3 years ago. He "forgot he bought them".)
I keep the supply houses monthly bills in a supply house file along with the payment check noted on it.
This way is easier for me to find what I need.

ed
#155948 02/26/05 01:26 PM
A
We started out using a folder for each supplier for each year. Same thing for every other tax catigory like fuel, office supplies, gifts, tools, truck repairs, etc.

Problem was some folders like our main suppliers had so many recepts it was hard to find something. While other ones seemed like it was a waist of a folder because they only had a few things in them. Filing was a pain tring to find a place for an odball thing. Things like is a computer or a chair an office supply, equipment, or?

Last year we went to a new system. All material recepts for each month have a folder (example 1/04 material, 2/04 material). Everything elce goes in an expence folder for the month. That includes phone bills, fuel recepts, office supplies and other things that don't seem to have a home. Filing is easy.

I like the new system because it is easier to look back to see how much a certain material cost last month or last January. Where the first system I would be sorting thru a large pile to find anything. Plus I don't care what catigory an expence is. I'll let the accountant worry about that.

Although I could imagine how this system would not work well with a big company.

#155949 02/26/05 03:18 PM
L
LK Offline
We do the same as nesparky, it has worked well for years.

#155950 02/26/05 08:34 PM
D
You can also try a version of Tom's (Active1) system - list the receipt on the file folder for the job itself. Include total $ and date of purchase.

That way materials are under materials, but any receipts for the job are cross-referenced.

#155951 02/26/05 08:49 PM
J
Jps1006 Offline OP
what do you do for filing jobs? by date? alphbetically by last name? What about contractors? do they get their own drawer with their jobs?

My problem is that I have not committed to filing sytem yet. I seem to be filing stuff a little different each time trying to tweak it, and I can't seem to to find a system I like.

Are there any standards for office organization??

#155952 02/27/05 11:00 PM
N
I use the job sites address for filing in the file.
The accounting program has all jobs listed by owner/GC depending on who your contract is with, then all jobe for that enity listed under thier name. List is alphabetical for owner/gc then by address. then if necessary by date.
All office expenses go in an office file that has several sub files. Insurance, licenses, vehicles,estimating and so on

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 02-27-2005).]

ed
#155953 02/28/05 10:19 AM
B
I put all reciecpts in one large envelope for the month. Ill leave all that supply house invoices in there own smaller envelope and the same for the rest easy to spot the bill your looking for. I use Quik books pro and all parts bought are entered in to inventory individually and you can create a new customer and note that that part is for that job. when making out invoices theres a tabe to click and all the parts you bought for that job show up and you just click on theme if you want them put on that bill.
Any inventory item you can get a report of any bill or puchase that that part is used in you decide tha date range, Its great for the electrical trade. been useing it since 1997 and can tract all parts bought and sold and to who.

#155954 03/01/05 07:06 PM
J
Jps1006 Offline OP
Wow bossman, that sounds like a lot of data entry. I know that feature you are talking about. I use that to as a piece meal way of job costing. Assign a job to a receipt as you expense it, then pull up a report under unbilled costs by job, and shows what I have spent on the job. But I don't show it on the invoice, generally I mark it up or bill it lump sum, so I have yet to find a practical use for it.

Thanks for the replies. I decided I'm going to file job expenses per job. In fact I am goint to try to set up my filing cabinet just like my customer:job list in QB. Then when I look for something, I can figure out where it is on the computer, and go right to it. And you guys are right, the most likely and most important reason to ever reference a receipt would be for job costing. Thanks again.

#155955 03/02/05 10:57 AM
B
quick books is as good as you want it to be and once you entered the parts you can set the markup automaticaly on invetory items but not on exspense items you would have to do that your self. You can create groups of parts for biding. I think its great but ya alot of info to type in but once you have it you have it. Its all in how you understand seting up the program to suite your own needs.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard