ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 377 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#155822 02/10/05 09:38 PM
D
I need clarification on this matter. Can a journeyman start a business using his name followed by electric,? and have only one employee. ex. Bill Clinton Electric. And then register with the town hall as a DBA,for a business license. And use that name on all his business forms?

DRIDE
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#155823 02/10/05 10:09 PM
S
That is exactly what I did.
I have no employees but I can.

I would check you local offices.
NYS has several web sites related to small business. One of them lets you search business names; corp, LLC, DBA. If the name you want is on the list pick a new one.

[This message has been edited by Speedy Petey (edited 02-10-2005).]

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#155824 02/10/05 10:23 PM
D
I was told by a inspector that I needed a master's license to call my business a "electric" company and I don't think that's correct??????

DRIDE
#155825 02/11/05 02:33 AM
B
You need an administrators license, or someone who will park their administrators license on you business. (At least in Washington)

Buck
#155826 02/11/05 08:35 AM
E
Only Massachusetts rules apply here. As a journeyman you can have a business with yourself and one apprentice. Thats it. Business name must be "Joe Schmoe electrician" or "licensed electrician". You can not be "Electric" or "Electrical contrcator". You are supposed to register with your city or town regardless of the name of your business and you truck must also be lettered accordingly. All of your advertisements must also have your license # displayed.

#155827 02/11/05 10:36 AM
A
In Illinois you would file a doing business as (DBA) form with the local county. An example would be Joe Smo DBA Joe Smo Electric. At least if it is a propritorship or partnership. It's just gives you the right to call your business what ever.

Forms of corporation are filed with the Secritary of state.

If you called your co your own name Joe Smo I don't think you would have to file anything here. You would not have much saying you are a registered business. When you put the Electric on the end here then I believe it would change requirements.

Odds may be against it but you should take the time to make sure there are no other Joe Smo Electric's in your state or near you. Just a search with my last name + Electric had a number of company web sites. I know in my state there is a big GC company with my last name + builders. You might want to search all the related fields for your last name used. You don't want to look like your the same company as maybe one with a bad reputation.

Tom

Tom

[This message has been edited by Active 1 (edited 02-11-2005).]

#155828 02/11/05 11:03 AM
H
Business name must be "Joe Schmoe electrician" or "licensed electrician".

Only problem I have seen with this is that any checks received as payment must be deposited into your business account, not cashed. This creates a record of payments that can be used to determine income.

The temptation is very great for "Joe Schmoe" to cash a check made out to him rather than deposit it. Of course the income then usually goes unreported. With any other D/B/A company name the bank would not let you cash it.

I have known guys who purposely used their own name as their business name just so they could cheat on taxes.

Matter of fact I know one guy who only has one checking account for both business and personal.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 02-11-2005).]

#155829 02/11/05 01:39 PM
E
The temptation is very great for "Joe Schmoe" to cash a check made out to him rather than deposit it. Of course the income then usually goes unreported. With any other D/B/A company name the bank would not let you cash it.

This is true but has nothig to do with how your business us named. Even if you are "Joe Schmoe Electric" you can still have checks written out to "Joe Schmoe" and cash them. This is not a licensing issue it an ethics, integrity, and legal issue.
No offense to "Joe Schmoe" intended. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 02-11-2005).]

#155830 02/11/05 01:41 PM
E
Only problem I have seen with this is that any checks received as payment must be deposited into your business account, not cashed. This creates a record of payments that can be used to determine income.
Parhaps I should know this but where would I find this requirement.

#155831 02/11/05 05:37 PM
D
As this was explained to me from my accountant:

Under the provision of "S Corporation" blanket of protection.

You must treat your business as a business and keep it seperate from your personal matters. The Govermnent provides protection of personal assests under the "S Corporation" designation.
However, If you do not abide by these requirements and keep the business seperate from your personal assests and do not have documentation to back up all transactions, the protection provided to you under the "S Corp" umbrella could be restricted.

In a nutshell, if you are Joe Blow Electric, and you cash the business checks and do not report them, You are not treating the business as a business. If something happens and you get sued, the attorneys can possibly go after your personal assests. If you treat your business as a business, within it's provisions, the "S Corp" umbrella protects your personal assests.

Hope this makes sense......

Dnk.........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard