ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#155811 04/07/05 02:51 PM
D
Big adds in phone books mean big prices.

You and Lowry are up there.

Thanks for the info.

Dnk....

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#155812 04/07/05 03:28 PM
R
We are half the price of Lowry. However, like Lowry, we have a huge operating budget. It is not my goal to grow old working in the field making 30-40K by vreating a job for myself. My goal is to make a decent living and creat a business for myself to work on. It's been a learning effort over the last 3 years, but I am making some headway. Meanwhile, we offer the best service and gurantees that my customers money can buy. The difference between us and the others are that we actually place the customers well being before our profits.

Have a Blessed Day,
Rick Bruder
#155813 04/07/05 04:15 PM
D
Rick, don't sweat it.
I didn't mean to decieve you in any way, but business is business.
Mid-Atlantic told me what some of you guys were charging for things and kept telling me I should do resi-work.
I had to find out.

I play with machines alot. Mostly commercial and light industrial stuff.

I am about 10 minutes from you, see your trucks passing me on street road sometimes.

I do buildings, but often wondered about throwing my hat in the resi market after what I'd heard.

Had employees, years ago. Too much paperwork and headaches for me. Like working alone alot, have subs in my pocket when I need the help.

Welcome to the forum.

Hope we don't get to bid on the same jobs, I know what you charge now.

Dnk.....

#155814 04/07/05 04:27 PM
R
You didn't deceive me, I knew you were a neighbor based on other posts you made. I just don't know exactly who you are. I am not concerned about quoting against you either. First of all there is enough work for all of us(that's why I am so willing to talk with and not be the typical jerk), secondly people don't use us because of pricing, they use us because of the value we offer them.

I too used to play around machines, actually I still get to do that once in a while, but I decided that with having employees this was the best place for me. If I were a lone wolf, I would have stayed in the industrial end. It's much more fun and the money is as good if not better.

God bless you

Have a Blessed Day,
Rick Bruder
#155815 04/07/05 04:34 PM
D
I hear some of them guys doing the "Horvanarion" (spelling) homes on Jacksonville and the Toll homes are making some prestine bucks remodeling basements.

Some of these folks are spending upwards of 100K for a basement?

Thanks interesting....
That's some serious cash there....

Dnk....

#155816 04/09/05 11:45 AM
B
Seems to me that if you look at the top notch businesses, whether HVAC-R, Plumbing, etc, the ones that are the most successful always seem to be charging way more than the rest. I know there's a ton of variables, but it seems to hold true in many trades and industries. They are usually very proffesional and market themselves well.

#155817 04/09/05 01:00 PM
D
I'm very interested in the transition from lone wolf to business manager. When I think about it I get overwhelmed...

Someone to answer the phone
An office and warehouse for trucks and inventory
Hiring and training good techs
A dispatcher for the trucks
Much larger advertising and marketing budget

I'm sure there's more on this list, but I'm wondering if there aren't seven little steps I can take to make sure it's working as I go, rather than a big jump.

I'm already implimenting a flat rate system which is working well for me. That was one small step I could take and I can see it working.

Dave

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard