ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
My system is software not just a book.
I print the books from the software.
The software allows me to make adjustment at any time to the book.
I use Flat Rate Plus www.flatratesystems.com
I've heard Successware21 is very good. www.successware21.com

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
A
You could add colums for different prices based on what the customer's home looks like or what he drives.

Example: You could have one price column for a customer who drives the old beat-up station wagon and another price column for the guy who drives the mercedes.

D
I recently purchased (and returned) the software from Flat Rate Plus and found it full of errors and omissions. One that sticks out in my mind is a material list including wire nuts for 30 amp and larger circuits. The whole thing needed a good proofreading by an electrical contractor. The labor seemed all over the place (over 1/2 hour each to install breakers?). The 200+ pages I printed out ended up going through the shredder. The main ommisions were a lack of variety of service panels, and no pages for IMC. All the pages for "Rigid" were PVC. Their "Master Electrician" argued with me about the need for a second ground rod. I think they should stick with what they know (HVAC), or consult with a real electricain.

Dave

F
I too have cut prices to customers who didn't have the resources available but desparately needed the work done to maintain safety. I think this is it's own reward. I don't feel the need to fleece the next well-off customer to make up for it. In giving these "breaks" over the years I have been duped a time or two. I changed out a burned fuse box once for a self described "poor widow". I gave her materials at cost and labor for next to nothing all the while listening to her whine about scraping by on SS and a small pension. When I was done she was so pleased with her bill she told me she was going to use me for the maintenance on her 30 rental houses she owned all over town. I have a friend whose father bought a rotary well drilling rig in the 70s when rural home building was booming around here. He told me that he charged by the foot and the depth of the water well greatly depended on how well-off the customer was. When drilling a new well for an existing home, if there was a Dodge Dart in the driveway it was going to be a 70 footer. If there was a Caddy it may well go 200 feet! I would sure hate to be done that way. A few years ago I had lightning take out my submersible pump. I had originally installed it when I built my house but was pressed for time as I was doing a set of condos on a deadline. So I called a plumber I had worked on a few jobs with and asked him if he could send someone out to hang me a new 3/4hp submersible pump. My casing is above ground and I had installed a pitless adapter. 2 guys came out and yanked the 70' of plastic pipe out and replaced my Gould with a Red Jacket and dropped it back in the well. Total time on my property- 1 hour. Bill came to $1650.00! I called the plumber and asked why a $200.00 pump and labor for 2 man hours added up to $1650.00. He said normally it would have run around $500.00 but since it was on my homeowner's insurance, he always jacked it up. He said I would have to only pay my deductable of $250.00 either way so why did I care? I care because it's not right and those practices are one of the reasons homeowner's premimums go up every year. An old electrician who helped me up the trail when I was just getting started on my own gave me some good advice about charging for service work: "In a lot of ways customers are like sheep. They pay attention to the dog doing the most barking. They will usually go along with what they see all the other sheep doing. And you can shear a sheep several times but you can only skin him once." That plumber who "skinned" me has never gotten a referral from me and never will. When customers ask for a plumbing referral I don't bad-mouth him but I sure talk up a couple of other guys who have done me fair. Not cheap, but fair.

A
Dave,

I totally agree with what you are saying about the software. I like the software but the preloaded data needs to be changed.
I figured that no matter what software I purchase I would still need to make changes to adjust for time and materials that better reflect what I do.
For the cost of this product I expected it to better than it was.
I have gone through the tasks and modified them for my needs.
They claim that it can be used right out of the box. I found that this was not the case.

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 02-03-2005).]

M
Hi,
Thanks for the replies.

A-line...I do not know anything about tupperware or avon other than the analogy i was trying to make that ONE PERSON CAN MAKE THINGS HAPPEN!

I am just talking here...

the systems we are talking about are both better than T&M and they both could use tweaking.

" A man who enriches others, shall so too be enriched".

I live by this rule.

I also make money when I see an opportunity. I am sorry.

If a person uses a system that is great.

I want to make it a little better.

By the end of the year my Flat Rate Spot Pricing will out perform ANY FLAT RATE BOOK!

You must be smart enough to spot an opportunity. It is like gold..."it's where you find it". Nothing ventured nothing gained.

If you sell a 200 A service for $1200 and I get $1800 one day and $2000 the next then, I have already put a hurt on your book.

I just do not see how every job is the same.

I will have to go check out this website. I am glad you told me about it.

That is the great thing about America, you have the right to shop around if you want to. I do not force feed or hardsell anything.

I hate to call it FLEECING! Couldnt we agree on a different term?

How about "profit mining"?

Regards

Greg

A
Qoute:
"If you sell a 200 A service for $1200 and I get $1800 one day and $2000 the next then, I have already put a hurt on your book."

What if I sell a 200 amp service for $2500 every time. With the book price most of the time the job will be completed in less time than the book time. There will be times when the job will have complications and will exceed the book time. These should be few though.
In the end it should all average out. If not you need to make adjustments to the book so that it does.
It's kind of like gambling in vegas. Sometimes the house will lose a hand but the house always wins the game.

Why would I want to sell a 200 amp service for less the next day if I can sell it for the same price that I sold it for today.

M
Hi,
A-line...That is great...I wish I could sell a 200A service for $2500! Maybe I will try it next time!

This is an excellent point that you made...

Consider this..

Your book may not work so well in my neighborhood..it may work well for certain areas but you must be able to adjust that price cant you?

My Spot Rate variable pricing allows me to instanly deduce what that particular job is worth and what I think I can sell it for.

I raised my price for a $200A service recently from $1200 to $1800. If it is underground then your looking at $2800 for no more than 100 feet of trench.

That 200A service is the basic install...If I can sell them a CSED then I get another $750. The panel only cost a few bucks more, throw in a 30A breaker, a clip, and an WP outlet and you just made another $500!

I am sure that the system you are using is making a few bucks because the numbers are above the average.

I am not only an electrical contractor but an ENTREPRENUER!

Regards

Greg

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 02-03-2005).]

Cat Servant
Just a couple of observations...

The "good book" say "one law for all, rich or poor"
A successfull lady told me her best business lesson was when she "charge what you're worth, and be proud of it." Don't be embarrased to admit that you might be worth more than someone else.
Customers will never let you raise a price...better to give them a discount AFTER they've earned it.
Always leave something on the table...that way, everybody's happy, and no one feel they got "took."
A friend with a 7-11 taught me "the guy who comes in every day for his coffee and donut is what makes my business work." A good customer is one who can be relied upon for regular small jobs and prompt payment. They pay your bills.

A
Here's an article I came accross on the internet about a combination of flat rate and T&M. A hybrid of the two. http://www.4youradvantage.com/t&m.htm

Greg,
Is this something like what you are putting together?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard