ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
question for all you experienced guys.
What is the best way to market or advertise your self for bigger jobs like re-wires additions basicaly a way to avoid switch and recpt replacements.
thanks

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
J
Who do you want your customer to be? Home owner? General Contractor? Resi., Comm.? Building owner?

P
It is tough to get jobs wiring additions and basements without going through a general contractor.The generals almost always use their own subs.

If a GC is looking for a new electrical sub, it usually means he burned his last electrician one too many times so be careful.

If the homeowner is doing the work himself and needs a hand with the plumbing-HVAC-electric, you have a shot at getting the job. The question here is-- do you want to deal with an amateur framer, no real blueprints, designing the electrical layout yourself, poor scheduling, waiting forever for them to paint so you can trim out and get your last check?

Stay with the switch and plug replacements and charge what you need to stay in business and profit for doing it.
The bigger the job-the more money you could possibly lose.

D@#%, I sound old and cranky. [Linked Image]

Pat

Power to the people
E
A good portion of our business is wiring for basement finishes, additions and remodels. We are very skeptical when a GC calls us without a referral. Don't just give them a price and start working. Find out who they use for other trades and call them to see how they pay and what happened to the last EC. Most of our new contractors come from referrals by an HVAC or plumbing company that we have worked with on other projects. If you know any other trade subs, start by talking to them and get them to talk you up to their other GC's.

A
Good point about the GC's Electric Eagle.I am always very weary of GC's who I don't know.Always a good idea to talk to the other trades who work for the GC.

Working for the homeowner directly can be sometimes difficult,but it may be a way for some to start to "meet" other trades who may need to refer an electrician for a job.I'm asked on many of the small remodel jobs if I know a carpenter,plumber,or drywaller.Its good when you can help the homeowner out and refer someone good and then the other tradesman returns the favor down the road.

D
Most of our work comes out of the local builder’s exchange .We can view plans & specs online for upcoming projects http://dodge.construction.com/Plans/

Also:
http://ccbx.com/

D
Slumlordworker,

Heed Pat's and Eagles advice. I get the feeling from thier posts, they have "been there and done that" too.

I got burned when I first started out doing that small resi stuff from small GC's.
One tip I can offer to you is get to know your local inspector well. Be polite to him/her. It turns out they know who the "crooks" are and who are the good GC's to work for.

Dnk......

Cat Servant
Get your name added to the lists various government agencies have, whom they notify when they want bids on a project.

D
like penn-dot?

Scott

Link Copied to Clipboard