ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#155418 01/05/05 01:28 AM
N
I love my 2002 GMC 1 ton van. Since my first van in 1973 I have installed a raised floor with pipe storage on the drivers side, a six foot ladder under the floor from the rear door on the passenger side and a three drawer unit under the floor from the side door. My wire is on shelving facing the outside by the rear right door. MOst used items are in the 3 drawers by the side door. Rotary hammer by left rear door. Hand tools, screw gun, hammer drill, holehawg, rotary hammer bits, testers etc on shelving to left of side door. Tool box, long bits to right of side door on top of raised floor. #6, #4 and #3 wire on rollers behing driver. I pull the length I need without removing the reel unless long runs needed. All these items are available to me without having to climb into the truck. No pipe on roof. I love my 1 ton savana but if I would buy another new truck my choice would be the sprinter. My friend who does refrigeration has one with the higher roof and thinks it the greatest. Manual crank type ladder rack brings the ladder down the side. Beautiful when set up right.
Ron

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#155419 01/05/05 12:07 PM
T
Ron...
I would love to get more info on that manual crank to access the ladders.. Do you have any info on that device. I am also looking at the sprinter van. The ladder issue on top of the sprinter seemed like a draw back.I'm currently working out of a pickup w/ a utility cap. It can get tough when you have to climb into the back to get material. Thanks ToHo

#155420 01/05/05 07:21 PM
F
I bought a Dock Top from Monroe last Feb for my Ford F-250. I bought a new Chevy 2500 HD in Oct and transfered the Dock Top to it. I debated on buying a utility bed for the Ford but opted for the DockTop because I could put it on future trucks. I have the ladder rack from American Van that lets the ladder down the side with the turn of a lever. It is nice! I worked out of a 1 ton extended van for 10 years and it was okay but I really prefer the truck/Dock Top set-up. I have a floor drawer in the Dock Top that measures 30" wide x 90" long and pulls out 65" beyond the bumper and supports 600 lbs while extended. I don't have to crawl up in the Dock Top for anything. It is bolted to the floor of the top and glides on channel iron rails and roller bearings. With camper stands I can drive out from under it with it fully loaded in 30 minutes if I need to use my pick-up as a pick-up.

#155421 01/05/05 08:20 PM
A
Today we had a few inches of snow on the roads. The E-150 was sliding all around. The tires are not that worn. The step van drove good. We canceled an appoitment this afternoon not that we could not make it more becase it was not woth the drive in the weather. For a small job with car accidents all over we'll stay home on a bad day.

If your looking for better traction make sure you get a limited slip differential. The regular open axle provides all the power to the wheel with the least traction. But it's cheaper and drives straiter when slippery. The limited slip cost more and can get squerly if your not used to it but you wont get stuck as easy.

Tom

#155422 01/09/05 02:29 AM
N
ToHo,
I will talk to my refrigeration man on Monday and find out where he purchased the crank type ladder rack and repost. I thought it was from "americanvan.com" but that site does not show anything although they do have Sprinter items.
Will get back to you on Monday.
Ron

#155423 01/09/05 04:25 PM
J
I believe the ladder rack you described is American Van #ISA-10.
I reccomend at least a 3/4 ton pick-up, with utility body, cover over the bed, and a ladder/pipe rack. I do not reccomend a "cabin" on the back, as it restricts rear vision.
I'd avoid any kind of extended cab, especially with ab 8 ft. bed.

Used utility bodies are iffy...most are very well worn, and at the end of their lives. An exception to this rule are those recently released from government or utility service.
Ask your utility and cable companies what they do with their old vehicles. Also, check out the federal government at www.gsaauctions.gov.

#155424 01/10/05 06:49 PM
N
Toho,
The ladder rack you would want with the Sprinter is from weather guard. You can visit their website at "weatherguard.com". My refrigeration man says he loves it and it can be set up for step ladders.
Ron

#155425 01/10/05 10:20 PM
T
Ron... You Da Man!!! Thanks I will check it out..Thanks...ToHo

#155426 01/12/05 12:16 PM
D
I have a Ram 1500 with a cap with flip-up side windows. My main reluctance to a pickup is I didn't want to have to climb in it. It is SUPER organized. I occasionally change the organization as I cram more & more into it. I really like that I get everything in a standing position.

I was really afraid of trashing my back climbing in a van & bending over. I guess that could be avoided by loading the doors & with sliding drawers like Norstar's. My Ram weighs in at about 5500 lbs. and I've never checked the gas milage. It has a large engine, so why spoil the fun? Besides, almost all of my work is within 15 miles.

Dave

#155427 01/12/05 07:29 PM
K
That weatherguard rack for a high top Sprinter is $2600 for a double rack. This will hold an extension ladder on one side and a step ladder on the other. It seems that everything for a sprinter is expensive.

I just priced a 140' 2500 with a high top and the guy quoted me $33,000 for a 2004! With no incentives.That was his best price. The rack and bin package he offered was $2900 and the rack from the Weatherguard dealer was $2600 installed.

In comparison, I could probably get a well equipped 2005 Ford e250 for $23,000 before rebates. The bins are about $500 and the rack is $600 installed.

I drove the Sprinter and you better like the steering wheel position because they don't offer a tilt wheel. I just couldn't get the seat adjusted right. Maybe over time you'll get used to it, but I didn't like it. It is very European and even has a beep-beep horn like an old VW Bug.

I know these are hot right now, but it disapoints me that they are not interested in playing ball price wise like Ford or GMC. Its basically take it or leave it. This is a DODGE dealership, not Freightliner or Mercedes.

Also, in the Dodge brochure, they kept refering to all the colors available "to match you companies logo". But the sales guy i was talking to said it would take 6-8 months to get anything but white. Its like the old saying by Henry Ford, "you can get any color you want so long as its black".

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard