ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#155387 01/02/05 09:06 PM
E
Anyone ever been to craigslist.com ? I posted there out of curiousity in the skilled trades section asking for hourly rates to have some general electrical work done. This is the first result. I am totally shocked by this LOW rate. I am tempted to call and see who it is. Electrician? Can't be for that price in this market.
"ello- I can assist you for $45.00 per hour. That price includes 2 men with all associated tools. Also included would be; tape, wire nuts, and other minor items necessary to perform the job.
Thank You- Eric"

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#155388 01/02/05 10:31 PM
A
Lots of folks look for jobs at those sites,nice cause you can see who is hiring for what in different cities accross the country.As far as the services advertising sections it looks like the folks "selling" their services are mostly moonlighting folks.Very sad that some people would think nothing of hiring an unisured,unlicensed person to do work in their home or place of business because they think they are saving some money ,a big risk in my opinion.

Truth of the matter though this is something that all of us contractors are always dealing with though,whether it be the goofy old handyman doing electrical on the sly,moonlighters, or the new EC who has no idea that he is charging too little.I live with it somewhat though because these clients that they are taking from me are most likely those bottom 10%,the slow payers,priceshopping people,semi DIY'ers, and general non paying deadbeats that we all would rather not deal with anyway.

In one of the two states where I do my work (VT)a license is not required for single family electrical work(a stupid loophole in the law)so you can't even turn these folks in ....

[This message has been edited by andyp95 (edited 01-02-2005).]

#155389 01/02/05 10:43 PM
S
45.00 an hour no way for 2 guys i am a small shop with low OH but if i sent myself and a helper for 45.00 an hour i would lose my ass unless my trip charge was 125.00 than

these hacks are ruining every trade but this crap is becoming common epspecialy in electrical work where the owners figure well he got the lights to come on so i saved money by hiring the "handyman" when in all truth once the place burns down they have actually lost money

#155390 01/03/05 01:48 AM
L
LK Offline
Try this one for an electrician, http://valleye.1st.net/

#155391 01/05/05 07:44 PM
R
Prices like that kill the other Businesses. There are small shops setting low prices with No or little business experience. Dispite working out of your home or car, business overhead, insurance, workmans comp & other costs MUST be place into your hourly rate... When I come across this, my reply is " YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR " I hope these small shops bring their prices to a more realistic pricing.

#155392 01/09/05 02:46 AM
N
LK, the sight you referred us to claims that a local electrical union is a sponsor. Find that hard to believe. Got to give the guy credit, though. Since he probably won't get the work from the diy's he gets them to pay him for info. Thats america.
Ron

#155393 01/10/05 01:22 AM
S
This is from LK's site...

"WELCOME
Before you begin lets take a moment to remember that
extreme caution should always be used when working with electricity !
Always be certain the power is shut off ! Electricity is DANGEROUS !!!
Disclaimer
The Cheap Master Electrician, and any agent, officer, or employee of them , does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any of the information, content or advertisements (collectively "the Information") displayed, contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from this Web site ("the Service"), nor the quality of any products, information or other materials displayed, purchased, obtained or used by you as a result of the Information in connection with the Service.

You hereby acknowledge that any reliance upon any Information shall be at your Sole Risk. The Cheap Master Electrician, reserves the right, in its sole discretion without any obligation, to make improvements to, or correct any errors or omissions in any part of the Service or the Information.

The Information and Service are provided by the Cheap Master Electrician, on an "as is" basis, and the Cheap Master Electrician, expressly disclaims any and all warranties expressed or implied including without limitation any warranties for fitness for a particular purpose with respect to the Information or the Service. In no event shall the Cheap Master Electrician, be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive or consequential damages whatsoever with respect to the Information and the Service."

steve

Steve

Link Copied to Clipboard