ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#155359 12/27/04 11:24 PM
C
Cinner Offline OP
I have been doing some side jobs on weekends in Vancouver and have been marking up my jobs to about $300 profit per day based on 8 hours. For example a job that takes 16 hours and $500 in material... I will charge $1100.00 cdn.

Does that seem reasonable / too high / too low or does it seem fair?

I feel that my time is worth that much.

Does anyone else do small contracting work that can give me an idea of how much they will charge and if I am in the same ballpark?

thanks

[This message has been edited by Cinner (edited 12-27-2004).]

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
S
Cin, if you will drop down to the "Business
Related Forum", I think you will find 'zactly what you are looking 4.

Steve

Cinner
Just curious are you a bonded electrical contractor? as side jobs can only be done by a qualified electrical contractor if you are going to charge for electrical work.IE collect money and you are contracting.
For the customer and your protection please read this simplified link.
http://www.bcelectrician.com/who_can_do_electrical_work.html

B
If you are unlicensed, unbonded and uninsured and undercutting those who are, you are hurting the trade as a whole.
Licensed bonded and insured here 300 a day won't pay the bills.

A
If you were a licenced insured EC business $300 a day would not be a proffit. It may pay 1 persons wadges with taxes. You would have about nothing for material mark-up. It would not pay a days overhead and it would be a loss not a profit. Don't quit your day job.

I agree this does hurt everyone in the trade by doing weekend side work. You make it hard for EC that play by the rules to compete. Would you like it if your boss told you "sorry your going to have to work for less $$ and on nights and weekends to maintain work"?

Maybe instead of doing the work on the weekend you could work out a refural agrement with an EC. So you could get paid lining up the work for them. Then they charge a normal price.

Tom

D
Cinner,

What will you do when your boss finds out that you've been doing side jobs and undercutting his business...and what do you think he'll do about it?

Dave

P.S. They always find out.

Link Copied to Clipboard