ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Trumpy Offline OP
What made your mind up,(or possessed you)to be an Electrician,after you left school?.
Was it the need of a job or what?
Please feel free to comment on this one.

O
I ask myself that continually?
CW

S
coin toss... truckin' lost, so here i am.....

G
eight years in the marine corps. went through a marriage, and a divorce. decided to get out and try my "luck" as a civilian.
first job, walked into a union shop, applied for a job as a helper. interviewer asked what experience i had. i told him i had 8 years learning how to kill people, and wanted to expand my talents. [Linked Image]
was offered a chance to enroll in the IBEW electrical apprenticeship program offered at that time. jumped on it. 31 years later, here i am. not sure if its an "improvement", though. :S

B
Wanted to learn a skil that would allow me to work for myself.

S
I had no Idea I would be an electrician. I'm not sure what happened.........Where am I? [Linked Image] LOL I love it though!!

Actually, there is one thing I remember leaning me this way. when i was young,I read a hot rod magazine, there was a centerfold of a kick ass 69 nova SS , the driver was sitting in it. The article said he was a self employed electrician. He had this grin on his face I cannot describe. I thought to myself "must be nice" .......It is nice!! *grins*
Other than that its all theoretical.

I did not get as think so badly as you shocked I did.
P
I'm one of those kids who started playing with batteries, bulbs, and bits of wire at the age of around 5, and it just snowballed from there.... [Linked Image]

My Mother used to beat me with a percolator cord... (I deserved every bit of it)...

I guess I became an electrician in an effort to "control the wire"...

[Linked Image]

Actually, my music career didn't exactly take-off, and I didn't want to starve to death!

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
D
Ask myself this question constantly, especially when I have to crawl under some dirty confined floor space or loft filled with insulation & mouse s***.
Sad part is I really wanted to do this when I left school, now I wish I had stuck in & went to uni!
I do get some job satisfaction when customers are grateful for a job well done, like the man who came round to pay his bill on Friday evening, complete with cheque & a boxed bottle of Glenfiddich 12 year old. (My favourite!)

B
Age 2½—table lamp cord—had the two plug pins straddled around my thumb during insertion. It stung and burned more than anything at that age. smirk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard