ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
I pulled the gas stove out completely to ease the installation. I had to run to the store for the vent duct through the wall, which I did a peachy job of sealing into the wall so grease wouldn't get in the wall. I chiseled out half a stud for the outlet (two in a row that I've had two studs very close together on the right side). I also installed the microwave, and the board on the bottom of the cabinet (cabinet bottom was only 1/4"). This is the one job I wish I had a helper!

Anyway...5 hours plus materials, $445. I think they usually take me 4 hours without the vent work, and the stud chiseling was a one-and-only.

LK...was the $270 for the service company with or without the outlet? I'd be interested in your book. $242 for the outlet sounds fine. Does it allow for a difference between near the panel, or 50 feet away...finished or unfinished basement... also for NM or EMT? It seems like there are so many variables for a book.

I bid one recently that was in a finished house from one end to the other...multi-level. I would have had to cut holes every 16", or go outside. I forget the number, but it was large & they decided against the project.

Dave

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
G
By giving the customer a T&M option, you end up with problems like this.
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005129.html

This guy is heck-bent that he was over-charged with T&M. I guess he doesn't realize that a helper is an added bonus to a job, but is not needed for EVERY aspect of that job. I know my superiors (Foreman, General Foreman, Project Managers, and etc.) do not say anything when I am watching a JW work.

I still say a flat rate price will get you further ahead everytime. Just add in all possible variables. If they don't like it, they can call Mr. XXXXXX.

**for those who don't know Mr. XXXXXX, he is a EC here in Metro Atl. that WAY overcharges people becasue he has catchy little commercials on TV.

Kinda catchy.
Anyways sorry for the long spew.

Thanks for reading.

(Name removed)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 12-04-2004).]

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

E
GA, You have to admit 1 thing about Mr. XXXXXX. Even you know his phone number without openning the phonebook. I hope 1 day my company can be just as successful only with fairer pricing.

An example of Mr XXXXXX pricing: I bid $225 for a job that XXXXXX wanted $800 for. Another time XXXXXX wanted $110 per breaker to change 9 circuit breakers to the proper brand. What would that take? An hour if you had to go buy the breakers? By my calculations that's $945 per hour plus materials. Not Bad.

(Name removed)

G
The fairer pricing is a plus, but not always the case. Apparently people are paying his prices or he would go out of business. If Mr. XXXXXX set the prices, we would all be rich and able to retire.

I brought up the Mr. XXXXXX thing, because I have been working with another guy at work on the side. We use that all the time. "If you don't like the price you can always call Mr. XXXXXX."

Kind of take the Prudential approach to pricing, If you don't like my rates you can call this guy. I hope it proves to be successful.

Philip

(Name removed)

L
LK Offline
Philip,
When you say the fairer pricing is a plus, fair for who? When you are in business, you have operating expenses, and fixed overhead, this is what sets your pricing, then you add on a profit figure, the profit amount will determine if you can grow, or just get by, the average customer, works for an hourly pay rate, and uses this as a measure of what he thinks other should make, they never consider what it costs to operate, they assume the entire hourly rate you charge goes into your pocket, when in fact, only a small percent of that amount is profit, so fair is a state of mind, not a business practice.

Administrator
Guys,

Please don't use any real Names in these discussions.

TY
Bill

G
Well LK, I understand that fair is a state of mind, but triple charging a job is also ludicrous. I also understand the whole overhead thing. Employees need to be paid, Insurance needs to be paid, gas need to be put in the trucks and so on.

Does it really cost $110 per breaker to change 9 breakers to the proper brand to cover the company overhead?

Someday I will be working for myself and I am slowly sliding my foot in the door now.

Everyone wants their company to prosper, but is price gouging the answer? Does this next small job really need enough profit to get you to Aruba..ERR.. I mean pay for your overhead? [Linked Image]

I
Everyone wants their company to prosper, but is price gouging the answer? Does this next small job really need enough profit to get you to Aruba..ERR.. I mean pay for your overhead?

I think calling Mr Xs prices gouging is not the correct term, the price was high plain and simple.

Good for him if he can get it and shame on his customers for not price shopping.

IMO and I may be wrong, price gouging is when you charge an inflated price at a time when the consumer has no choice but to say yes.

Other than that, IMO charge what you want, the consumer has a choice to say no.

Is it price gouging when Nike charges $150.00 for sneakers that cost them roughly the same to produce as the $15.00 Walmart sneakers?

In a recent Consumer Reports they showed a home toaster for about $225.00, it ranked low, the best toaster was about $20.

It will still sell as some people like to pay high prices, they think it makes them special. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
G
I will admit "price gouging" is not the correct word. According to an online defintion:

Price gouging occurs when a business charges more for goods or services than its regular selling price.

So in turn since these are his everyday prices then he is just overcharging.

My whole thing is, if some of his prices were a little more reasonable, would he not have gotten more work and in the end made more money?

Is it a good idea to direct your bussiness in a direction where you will only be dealing with filthy rich people instead of middle-class got some money people?

[This message has been edited by GA76Apprentice (edited 12-05-2004).]

I
So in turn since these are his everyday prices then he is just overcharging.

You say overcharging I say charging what the market will tolerate.

He does not put a gun to the customer head.

No big deal here, this is America he can run his business as he wants (to some extent) and you will be able to run your business how you want. [Linked Image]

His high prices make the other business prices look good.

Bob

By the way, check the hourly rates of plumbers, they usually get more. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard