ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 412 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#154919 11/27/04 12:00 PM
G
My ex-boyfriend used marijuana, he worked for more than ten years as rope access (or industrial alpinist) worker. He was only fired after a drunken man fell off of 150m and he had a raw with his boss.
That job is dangerous, but those who do it, you cannot expect to be "common people".
Your job is similar I guess.

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#154920 11/28/04 12:52 PM
M
I worked with a methhead a few years back...this guy worked like a dog everyday for 3-4 hours...start sweatin...then crash and burn by 11:00 am. He was a really nice guy but obviously needed some help with his problem...Its sad to see people have a great career in front of them...get cocky and throw it all away...strange behaviour.

#154921 11/29/04 01:49 PM
B
Consider how the other workers around this guy must feel. I'm sure they are on edge and could lose their since of judgement worrying when this guy will fly off the handle. I believe there are way more drug free workers out there then users.
Let him go before he sinks your ship. He has nothing invested in your company. Once you sink, he'll move on to another.
Hopefully he can see himself failing and get help. Would be really sad sitting there with your children or grandchildren explaining why you lost another job!!! If these people do not have respect for themselves you can't expect them to have any for you.

#154922 11/29/04 02:31 PM
R
Every company I have worked for for the last ten years has had a zero tolerance rule. Immediate termination on proof of drug abuse, including alcohol if it affects work or you can smell them from ten feet away.

It has also been enforced. I tell trainees that if they do it on their personal time it is their business. However, if they show up to work messed up I will test them and upon proof, fire them. We also have mandatory drug testing that they have to read about and sign a waiver for. If they pop positive they are out.

There are enough problems, dangers, and liabilities to deal with, without having to worry about if your co-worker is coherent enough to secure power if you get lit up testing high voltage systems.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard