ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#154536 03/22/07 07:16 PM
G
It has been a while since I was in office design but I also remember a limit on "dead ends". We never had more than 10 people in our space but we got beat up because we had a single egress route that was too long.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#154537 03/22/07 07:50 PM
Does anyone know about altering the color of the lettering? In the theatre, those darn bright green signs can be a real eyesore... In spaces that aren't equipped with dimming signs, I've stuck in some blue diffusion gel to knock them down a bit. Eye-friendly yes, but probably frowned upon. So far, I haven't heard of any fire inspectors freaking out about them, and they come through all the time when we apply for open-flame and pyro permits.

#154538 03/23/07 08:45 AM
P
In the theatre, those darn bright green signs can be a real eyesore
Aren't most U.S. exit signs available in red versions as well? Or do you have a state/local law which requires green?

pauluk #160718 03/24/07 10:56 PM
I'm not sure about the laws, but red might be just as bad depending on the intensity... Anyone know if there are NFPA regs that allow for nonstandard colors, or required intensity of the lettering?

I'll probably just keep using my blue gel, as I generally don't have the authority to be making changes to the building in these cases. Although, most of the time I'm servicing the signs as well, as janitorial staff (public schools) don't seem to be very apt at changing the lamps as they burn out. But usually they're more than happy to provide me with the correct lamps to do it.

noderaser #160745 03/25/07 11:41 AM
S
Red doesn't hurt night vision like green and blue do, and allows the eyes to adjust.

As to the garage door functioning as an emergency exit... it's easy to operate them without power (pull the red cord and yank up on the door!), but clearly don't have panic bars and might not function terribly well in an actual fire with that respect.

Actually, would be fairly easy to set the spring tension on the garage door for negative pressure- EG, the door naturally will open by itself, and the opener has to work to push it DOWN. But this would still require people to think clearly and be able to work up high in the room.

Last edited by SteveFehr; 03/25/07 11:41 AM.
SteveFehr #160748 03/25/07 12:09 PM
G
Originally Posted by SteveFehr

Actually, would be fairly easy to set the spring tension on the garage door for negative pressure- EG, the door naturally will open by itself, and the opener has to work to push it DOWN. But this would still require people to think clearly and be able to work up high in the room.

... From a wheelchair?

Florida has adopted ADA virtually evewhere that isn't a dwelling unit. That is the real question. When you convert a "home" to business use do you lose the "dwelling" status? I say yes and I might even extend that to the whole "model"

Greg Fretwell
pauluk #160769 03/25/07 04:42 PM
J
Originally Posted by pauluk
In the theatre, those darn bright green signs can be a real eyesore
Aren't most U.S. exit signs available in red versions as well? Or do you have a state/local law which requires green?

Usually around here (Maryland) the local jurisdiction requires either red or green. I always have the hardest time remembering, too. blush

SteveFehr #160779 03/25/07 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by SteveFehr
Red doesn't hurt night vision like green and blue do, and allows the eyes to adjust.

The standard for backstage lighting is blue, as it doesn't stand out against the darkness quite as much. Haven't had any problems with eye adjustment, but then again our grips are in the dark/blue light for two hours or more. Actors are another story...

Trumpy #160876 03/27/07 07:58 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Interesting how garages came into this thread.
My original idea was for Commercial buildings and the like.
As they have the most foot traffic and the most amount of people that could be affected by a fire and total loss of power to the building, save the Emergency lighting system.
However, plunge any building into darkness inside and people out of instinct want to get out, in any way they can.
We had a fire in our old picture theatre here a few years back, the Emergency lighting system failed abysmally, no one got hurt but boy was it a worry turning up there and trying to get everyone out!.
The place has since been pulled down, rightfully so I say.
BTW, this is what we call a garage fire here:

[Linked Image from i119.photobucket.com]

Last edited by Trumpy; 03/27/07 08:00 AM. Reason: Bad Link
Trumpy #161109 03/30/07 07:29 AM
P
Interesting how garages came into this thread.
My original idea was for Commercial buildings and the like.

It sounds like a very complex point of law as to when private becomes public/commercial.

Same as the draconian anti-smoking laws which are being implemented here to outlaw smoking in the workplace. The rules set out as to when/if a private dwelling legally becomes a workplace are complicated, illogical, and inconsistent.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard