ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#154486 12/26/05 01:03 PM
G
NFPA just added a sprinkler requirement to NFPA 101 for 1&2 family (new construction).
Thoughts? Do you think your AHJ will adopt this rule? That would be the only metal pipe iun a house around here, assuming they won't let them use PVC. I usually think of black iron when I think of sprinklers.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
Greg there is a Town within 5 miles of me that passed a local ordnance that all newly constructed buildings will be sprinkled.

The single family residential systems use a plastic type pipe.

It is hard to argue against it as sprinklers do without question save lives and property.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
I

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
G
I find the plastic interesting. I put sprinklers in my house in Md because it had some obvious fire traps. I ended up with 4 heads in the garage, 2 in the split level foyer 2 in the utility room under that and 1 in the hall outside the utility.
Folks (including the insurance company) beat me up because I ran everything in 3/4" copper. They said it should be black iron.

I guess that thinking has changed.

Do they just use garden variety CPVC?

In my house I have a well. Can I call this a firepump ;-)

Greg Fretwell
R
Ron Offline
I think the CPVC that is used for residential sprinkler is compliant with NFPA 13R or D. http://www.blazemaster.com/featuresBenefits/ul_listing.asp

Ron
R
Moist people do not adopt the NFPA 101. There is a rule in the IBC that requires multifamily dwellings to be sprinklered, but it does not apply to single or two family. There were proposals for this, but they were rejected.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Cat Servant
Sprinkler systems once were rather involved systems, seemingly designed for perfection, rather than as a bare minimum for safety. Some argued, with great success, that they were aimed at protecting property rather than lives.

This all changed when a separate code was written for dwellings. This greatly simplified standard made household sprinklers practical.
In NFPA 13D, the requirements for alarms, fire pumps, reservoirs, etc., are greatly simplified. Many things you "assume" are required are not required for dwellings.

And not a moment too soon; the homes of today are nearly twice as large as the homes we grew up in. Our posessions- the things that do most of the burning- have increased exponentially. Long gone is the day when a family can put all their belongings into a push-cart!

I cannot speak to the use of copper pipe; I do know that plastic is allowed. I also cannot say whether the sprinkler code allows for "normal" plumbing to be used; in industrial settings, it is required that specially rated pipe be used.

Yet- assuming there is no legal requirement for any sprinkler system at all- I applaud any attempt to increase protection. Any system is better than none, and most fires are controlled with the tripping of only a head or two.

I
As a side to this I work at a facility that test sprinkler heads before approval.

I was lucky enough to watch them start a 15' x 15' x 1' deep 'pan' of ester (sp?) on fire to demonstrate the effectiveness of the sprinkler heads.

The building they do this in has a 65' inside height and the control room commentator reported that the flames where reaching 45' at 2 minutes in.

By 5 minutes into the test about 25 sprinkler heads where open creating quite a rainfall.

At 8 minutes the flames where close to out but the pan was also close to overflowing with water at that point so a air horn sounded signaling their in house firefighters to snuff the rest with foam.

But even still the effectiveness of the sprinkles could not be argued. [Linked Image]

Fires cool when it is under control. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
K
kd Offline
Does your insurance cover hooking up electrical to the sprinkler alarm system? Most policies exclude fire alarms. But is there an exception for residential systems???

I
Wirsbo makes PEX tubing and components for sprinkler systems. They don't require anywhere near the volume of water as a large commercial installation does and are still effective. It makes a lot of sense to have a sprinkler system installed, particularly in a new home.

Our new home will have a LOT of PEX tubing as we'll have radiant heat and the plumbing lines will also be PEX tubing. It's very easy to run, connection time is small, and it's better than dripping solder down your arm!

Link Copied to Clipboard