ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#154203 08/31/04 12:58 AM
R
rknikko Offline OP
In the NEC 1999 & 2002, for a 3-family house, do we need one smoke detector in each dwelling bedroom? If YES, what about the NYC Building Code? Have they omit this out from the NEC Code?

[This message has been edited by rknikko (edited 08-31-2004).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
The NEC doesn't regulate smoke detector installations. It is a Building/Housing Code issue.

Steve
rknikko,
Personally, out of common-sense, I'd fit one in every bedroom, it gives everyone a better chance of escaping, should a fire break out at night. [Linked Image]

D
Last job I did that involved smokes was (1) in each bedroom, (1) in each hallway on each floor, and (1) rate-of-rise in furnace room; all linked for common alarm.

That community operated off the '99 or '02 NEC and BOCA, IIRC.

P
To keep it short here,
NY State requires that when any type of permit (building, plumbing, electrical, etc) is pulled for work inside a building, smokes will be required to be installed. Depending on the conditions, hardwired and interconnected smokes will be required.

So a plumber files for a bathroom toilet, and the building department flags the job - assesses the property and requires smokes if the smokes are not up to code.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
E
I'm in CT, but I hear that NY has adopted the same one and two family dwelling codes as us. Smokes are required in each bedroom, outside of the bedroom area, and on each additional level (including the basement). In new construction, they must be AC-DC and interconnected. If any other remodel work is done, they must be added, but battery units only without interconnection is allowed.

Earl
E
Just to clarify, under the International Residential Code, battery only untits w/o interconnection are allowed in remodels, only if interior wall or celing finishes are not being removed, and if there is no attic, crawlspace, etc. available to allow AC power supply and interconnection w/o removing finishes.

S
Im in ct. I normaly install them in each bedrm, bottom of stairs, top of stairs, basment and furnace rm. I even try to do this on remodels a little more costly but make homeowners feel safe.

Link Copied to Clipboard