ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#154189 07/30/04 06:13 PM
C
caselec Offline OP
In the process of wiring a large remodel one of my guys installed a run of 6-2 NM cable through the firewall separating a single family dwelling from the attached garage. Unfortunately I didn’t catch it and neither did the inspector until he inspected the nailing of the sheetrock. He wants the cable sleeved through piece of metal conduit which is normally what we do. Are there any acceptable ways to deal with this penetration other than installing the metal conduit? Would wrapping the cable with on of the fire putty pads be acceptable? I’m trying to avoid having to pull one side of this cable out but if that’s the only option that’s what we will do.

Curt

Curt Swartz
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Curt, if you can wait till Monday I'll be able to help you when I have access to my (at work) UL Fire Resistance Directories.

BTW, my office is 70 miles from here at home. [Linked Image]

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 07-31-2004).]

C
caselec Offline OP
Hi Roger

Thanks for the reply! I don’t think anything will get done this week so if you have a chance to check on this some time I would appreciate it. Please don’t spend much time looking since its not that big a deal to pull this cable back although it would be interesting to know for future projects if there is a simple alternative to the pipe.

How long does it take you to travel that 70 miles? In my area that could easily take a couple hours with traffic. Most of my projects are within 15 miles of home.

I hope you had a good weekend!

Curt

Curt Swartz
R
Hello Curt, I had a nice (to short [Linked Image]) weekend, I hope your's was good too.

It takes me about 1 hr 15 min barring no wrecks, which was the case today, 2.5 hrs.

I couldn't find any assemblies that will help you with #6 NM.

I did find two that would allow #8 NM with no sleeves see below.

Go to this page http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/gfilenbr.html

Then search for W-L-3024 and then W-L-3141

Wish I had better news.

Have a good week.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 08-03-2004).]

C
caselec Offline OP
Roger

I just realized that I never thanked you for your research. In this case it will not be too bad to pull the cable back and install it through a sleeve but it looks like there are alternatives for smaller cables. Thanks again!

Curt

Curt Swartz

Link Copied to Clipboard