ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#153992 01/29/04 01:20 PM
How many areas have no Certificate of Occupancy?

In my area all work on a house has to be finished and I think the property even has to landscaped (have a lawn) before someone can move in. How is it where you are?

Bill

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Hi Bill. We also issue a certificate of occupancy. We issue it once all violations have been cleared, and, if sprinklered, the Fire Marshall has "signed off" on the house. Once in a while there are CC&R's that require landscaping/tress/sprinklers, etc... and these also must be in place prior to the C of O.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
P
the building code does not require a co for single family dwellings or garages(u occupancies)so all we do is final them.the final box signed is what the bank requires to approve financing.that is the hammer that gets the unresolved issues;resolved!all other occupancies will get a co at the time of final.

More specifically, Does a House have to be certified somehow as being finished before someone can move in?

I'm thinking here of situations like those in Sparky's pictures ( here ) where unfinished installations pose a threat to Occupants. What is the Agency that should be looking to protect Consumers from their own ignorance by requiring everything be finished?

Bill

Bill
D
Here in the City, we require one. Of course, I'm still operating off of a 'temp' CO from when I bought the house.

The AHJ (BI) was a former FD Lt. I told him I was buying the house, so he "scrutinized" the heck out of it, winding up with a "fix or forget" list for the new owner of close to 2 (small) hand written pages.

When I asked him about the list, he laughed, and said "I really went over the place for you. Don't worry - they've got to fix it before they sell it to you"

I told him "No Jackie, I've got to fix all that stuff when I move in....

They're selling the house as is!"

Oops.

Obviously (back to point) re-inspection isn't a high priority, especially with exisitng structures. With new construction, they're a little toughter, but nowhere near as tough as the "snooty" towns to the south ($1 mil+)

A lot of places are more prone (existing) to "grandfathering" or "DIY disease" (Homeowner or "knowledgable" friend w/o permit OR know how)

G
No permits,no inspections,no CO,in my home county.

Russell

S
2nd that Russ

about the only person to view single family dwellings here is the banker (or the bankers minions) for levels of completion .

many times, i've noted that pigtailed lighting is not on their punch list, this i suppose due to it being a low monetary concern.

one customer of mine moved in without drywalling his second floor, he insited i device, plate, install pigtails , and energize the whole shebang to complete my contract and get paid.

i didn't feel to good about it, but i gotta eat, and as there is nobody (that i know of) to back me up i have little choice in such matters

best i can do is note potential hazards on my bills.... what else can i do?

What is the Agency that should be looking to protect Consumers from their own ignorance by requiring everything be finished?

I honestly wish i knew Bill...

~S~

R
C.O.'s are in place here too. Russell knows the difference a few miles and a state line makes.

Steve, I can certainly sympathize with the frustration you have.

Roger

Sparky,

Could it just be your local area?

I didn't have time to go through them, but a Google Search seems to show some requirements for CO in Vt:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...cate+of+Occupancy&btnG=Google+Search

Maybe the key phrase is "if adopted" ??

Bill

Bill
S
Bill;
the occupancy permits you've googled appear to be fire codes applicable to rentals.

rentals,(think ski bunnies, brew, and our states cash cow) have gained thier share of bueractratic notability, which is a good thing imho..

we can actually get an electrical inspector, as well as a fire marshal to do a site visit, also a very good thing.

this doesn't apply to single fam residences, and i have heard that the farmers here have had thier say somehow in the matter (i'm not sure how they factor in)

certian zoning administrators here, depending on the town, have taken up site visits to private residences , however i think they are simply ensuring a viable structure for a tax sale?

perhaps they, through some sort of municipal involvemnet, will incite something statewide ...

Roger,
thanks, i do try and express hazards to people here, as anyone whom operates with his liability in mind would...

~S~

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 01-29-2004).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard