ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#153753 11/07/03 04:12 PM
E
Edward Offline OP
I have a bedroom with cathederal ceiling. Highrst point is 20 feet and lowest point is 9 feet. Where can i place my smoke detector that is easly accessible (when battery changing is required) and is within code.

Edward

Thanks
Edward
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Edward, NFPA 72 11.8.3.3 Sloped Ceilings Smoke alarms or smoke detectors mounted on a sloped ceiling having a rise greater than 1m in 8m (1ft in 8in) horizontally shall be located within 914mm (36 in) of the high side of the ceiling, but not closer than 102mm (4 in) of the adjoining wall surface.

Roger

P
edward,
the code reads to install per manufacturer's installation instructions.as a rule of thumb it is usually towards the peak so the alarm will activate as the smoke collects there first.

R
The code also states to follow the NFPA 72, so I would follow Roger's advice.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
P
ryan,
the calif. bld. code(1997 ubc)does not mention nfpa 72 anywhere.is this something that is found in the ibc?i am curious how the requirement is addressed in the code we might be using soon.

R
PWood: Sorry, I forgot you are over there. The requirement I speak of is found in the IRC, which governs all trades in dwelling units.

BTW: I thought you guys were adopting the NFPA 5000. Will you be adopting the IRC for residential?

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
P
ryan,
i figured it was in the irc.thanks!the plan is to adopt the nfpa 5000 and the irc.the nfpa 5000 code neglected to address single family dwellings in it's version of the code so a last minute compromise to adopt the irc was made.the 2000 upc,umc,ufc,and the 2002 nec are the likely other codes.the struggle for code supremecy in california may result in another cycle of the 1997 ubc with amendments.the code officials still do not positively know which code to learn or enforce for the next cycle.there is fur flying in sacramento between the respective organizations as to which code will be used.the building professionals are behind the icc movement but the politicians and special interest groups seem to have more juice(not brains, imho) [Linked Image]

W
FYI:
The 2003 version has the residential codes.
Maybe it ain't over yet!

Dave

Link Copied to Clipboard