ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 204 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#153702 12/28/04 02:23 PM
J
I got a ballpark of $45 each from the manufacturer. I'm sure shipping and other variables apply.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#153703 12/30/04 10:37 PM
J
For any product to qualify for use in a rated ceiling, it has to pass a fire test...it is actually installed in a ceiling, and the assebmly is exposed to a defined fire; the results must pass the same criteria as the ceiling passed without the product.
As you might guess, it is essential that the product be installed as specified by the manufacturer, and not altered. The limitations of the rating agency need also be obeyed.

The fire tests are quite realistic; a very large piece of ceiling is constructed (appx 20 ft. sq), and is subjected to an enormous, controlled natural gas fire for a specific time. Temperatures are monitored on the "unexposed" face; for it will not do much good if the outside itself gets hot enough to light a new fire! Nor will it help if the structure is weakened to the point of collapse.

#153704 03/15/05 10:37 PM
H
Here in NJ there is an energy code. You need "Air tight" cans to prevent heat loss from going into an unheated space. You also need "Fire Rated" cans if you are in a garage or ceiling that needs the fire rating. The 2 types of cans are very different and cost differently too. You can install pices of gypsum around the can to make it fire rating or buy the expensive fire rated can for use in the garage.

#153705 03/16/05 01:15 AM
S
As far as I know, the reference John S. made to the fire test has never been performed on these drywall boxes that are built above recessed cans. Just one of those things we've always done.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here!!!!

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
#153706 03/05/06 09:37 PM
Hey Ryan,
Progress makes a fire rated recessed light. I think its called a FIREBOX.

pHIL

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
#153707 04/14/06 09:54 PM
T
The fire tests are quite realistic; a very large piece of ceiling is constructed (appx 20 ft. sq), and is subjected to an enormous, controlled natural gas fire for a specific time. Temperatures are monitored on the "unexposed" face; for it will not do much good if the outside itself gets hot enough to light a new fire! Nor will it help if the structure is weakened to the point of collapse.
That test is based on the standard time temperature curve and actual structure fires are quite a bit hotter. The curve was developed from measurements of actual fires in ordinary occupancies (masonry bearing walls with wood joists and rafters). The testing was done in the days prior to the use of large amounts of synthetic materials in the built environment. The synthetic materials cause the fires to develop faster and they give up their BTUs much more quickly. So even though the synthetics average fewer BTUs per pound by burning so much more quickly they cause a much sharper temperature rise. The standard time temperature curve is still useful in comparing materials and techniques to each other but it no longer reflects the stresses that todays built environment subjects the materials to.

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
#153708 10/23/06 07:02 PM
Z
The only issue I see with these fixtures is that they are extreemly limited by the joist spacing available. I've run across everything from 12" on center to 24" on center and everything between. Good idea though...

F
Guess the market is evolving.
Needed a 1 hour fire rating for some IC rated lights and inspector would't approve the ez barriers sinc ethey weren't UL classified so he recommended this new (?) product.
http://www.tenmat-us.com/
Worked out nice.

L
Whats the problem with a taped sheetrock box? Good enough for a ceiling but not a light?
I always thought the airtite,IC cans were fire rated.
But now they have those double canned cans.

Were they put on before the insulation? Is there a solution for old work? The insurance co. will only say that the "slit" was more than 1". What is the size of the wire access? those vent holes, does'nt that negate the fire rating?

"trust us, your in good hands"

F
Well IC rated doesn't stand for fire rated. There is an interesting article about that topic in the January issue of Electrical Contracting Products.

The vent holes were also one of my concerns, but they told me that the tents are made of intumesent material that will expand in case of a fire and close all openings.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard